Xcel Tri Density winter test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TimK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Went diving today (3/10) at Nubble Light in York, Maine and finally tested my semi-dry (semi-wet depending on how you look at things) in winter water. Water temps were 37 degrees and we managed 40 fsw at low tide. Core stayed nice and toasty -- arms and legs cool but not cold at all. I don't wear anything under my suit except for board shorts so it was purely the suit doing the work to keep my warm (well, plus a very good natural insulation/bouyancy layer :wink: ). Fingers and toes didn't do too bad. Lips got really numb -- hard to talk for a few minutes after surfacing. In fact, the two guys I was diving with were in drysuits and complained more about the cold than I did. Yes, I am very cold tolerent -- but I love my suit!

I've got the 7/6/5 xcel with hooded vest. dove today to 124' for 1:10 in 50 degree water. I wasn't cold by the end of the dive (dive report in Deep Dixie divers today).

Timk,

Is that the excel Vortex 7/6/5? I just got that one and have only been able to do a pool dive to figure out my weighting. I'm used to using a 7mm farmer john with a 7 mm shorty doing Great Lakes diving and was alway boiling water in the suit but I was wondering if I might need a hooded vest or something with the 7/6/5?

MSU99

MSU99:
Timk,

Is that the excel Vortex 7/6/5? I just got that one and have only been able to do a pool dive to figure out my weighting. I'm used to using a 7mm farmer john with a 7 mm shorty doing Great Lakes diving and was alway boiling water in the suit but I was wondering if I might need a hooded vest or something with the 7/6/5?

MSU99

It's actually a 9/8/7 Polar Tri-density semi-dry (which I didn't see listed on their site for this year) so I don't know if they are continuing it or not. I dive it as is without anything else but I am very warm blooded and cold tolerent. If you get cold easily then you'll probably want to opt for another layer if you dive very cold water. Sounds like your a bit like me though in heating up the water! But your also giving up 2mm worth of neporene in your suit verses mine. Your suit has the same wrist and ankle seals mine has so I can assure you you won't get a whole lot of water flushing which will help keep you warmer. In the 50-60 degree water we have here in the summertime, I will normally pull open the neck every so often to get cool water in and reduce the heat a bit. Summer diving for you in the Great lakes would probably be similar I'm guessing...

I know bottom line is that I really like this suit and can recommend Xcels to anyone that might fit in one!

I have the 7/6/5 vortex. I am comfortable in 48 degree water for about an hour (with 7mm hood and gloves of course). I have the 6/5/4 hooded vest and wear it when temps drop to the mid 40's if I am aiming for a hour dive.

I've been promoting the Xcell suits for years....they are simply the best. I have to "Polar Quad Density 8765" and dive it year round in Socal waters. Now, as far as the second dive is concerned, no thank you.

My next wetsuit will probably be an Excel. They rock.

Of course, considering the money I just dropped on a drysuit, my next WETsuit will probably be a 3mm shorty for warm water only. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom