Video of Flying Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it is a plug for some kind of anti-ballistic flow regulator to prevent SCBA tanks from turning into jet packs. Did you notice that the first and last tests were on some kind of firefighter suit? I believe that two of the tanks that they tested were composite tanks, which are rarely used in scuba, but are more common with firefighters. Of course, the last tests showed how the tank didn't take off, even when it was pumped to 300+ bar (I'm not good at math, but that's a lot of PSI :wink: )

None the less, it's interesting to watch, although that contraption they built has a hook to the left. :) Those guys are pretty "brave." I wouldn't want to be anywhere near a tank when the valve gets knocked off.

I thought it was pretty cool. Looks to me like they may have come up with a design to prevent that action from a tank that's suddenly lost it's valve. I can't understand the language but the last two just sit there. No one needs to try this at home to see what happens now.

Yes those are SCBA tanks not Scuba.

Scuba tanks wont fly around as bad because the valve opening is very small. The dip tube and ID of the hole through the valve body is around a 1/4". So unless the threads of the tank fail and the valve body is ripped out it should not become a missle.

What you guys have said gives a bit of sense to the videos.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom