Dump valve on the forearm... Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O.M.O.H.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I am about to order a drysuit and got most of options down and priced (pockets, undies, pads, etc) One thing that remains is the dump valve. I hear many people say that placing it on the forearm instead of the upper shoulder is a better option…
I recon that such placement (on the forearm) would benefit a more efficient air release from the suit on the initial descent since it’s really close to the wrist, and no air would be trapped in that area etc… Any other reasons to have it placed there?

The price to have it done is really negligible compared to the rest of the suit, only 40 bucks. So if there is a good reason to have it i might as well order it.

Thanks

I tend to wear my instruments on my wrists, so that wouldn't work for me. I guess it's ok if you use a console to dive.

I have mine on the wrist and it makes it alot easier for exhausting.....Think about when you have to empty air out of your BC, you put the inflator hose to the highest point and press the button....the highest point because the air gets pushed that way.....The reason I have mine in that location on my suit, is I dont have to roll around trying to get the air out of the suit, just raise my arm and it exhausts.....

I would install it for the cheap price...
So what suit did you finally settle on??

Maybe that's where I am going wrong. I don't use my inflator hose to dump air, only to inflate.

Good luck with your drysuit OMOH.

I don't know if the cuff dump I had installed on the first Diving Concepts suit I bought is what you mean by a "forearm" dump, but I didn't like it much. It didn't dump as fast as my shoulder dumps do, and it was awkward to lift my arm up in the air enough to get it to vent. I went back to a shoulder dump and prefer it.

I kick myself for not going with the forearm / cuff dump. It makes life so much easier i think when trying to dump air especially quickly. There is no need to roll to get the air pocket to the side where the sholder valve is. I am thinking of getting one put in and leaving my shoulder one closed.

as you can tell, this seems to be a personal preference. If you have the option, it might be wise to dive a few times with 2 different suits and decide for yourself. With a large investment like a drysuit, you want to be certain that you're happy with EVERYTHING!!!! (before spending the $$)

The reason my suit exhausts so fast, in addition to the wrist exhaust, it has raglan sleeves....This is a bigger sleeve/armpit area that allows more room for the air to get to the exhaust, versus a standard cut suit. Thats why some suits are ineffective with the wrist exhaust.....:D

I agree with Kevin, its personal preference, and also depends alot on which suit your going with....if I recall correctly hes looking at a DUI or USIA.....I cant remember what he told me before.......

I have mine mounted on my forearm. It definitely makes it easier to dump when first descending, especially since I have to dump pretty much all my air to get down. Because I use an Oxycheck wing, I also have to lift the inflator hose to dump air there. Not sure of any other way, as the other dump valve is on the bottom. Right in front of the wrist dump is my SK7 compass in a DSS mount, and it does not create any problems.

Both my first and my second drysuit have had the wrist dump, so I can not comment on a shoulder dump.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom