Where are the California Divers for Ultimate Diver Challenge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubafrnds

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Why do we have no teams from California? California Divers, Let's go!

The Ultimate Diver Challenge
Cozumel, Mexico
"The Biggest Event in the History of Diving" The Ultimate Diver Challenge
Cozumel, Mexico
"The Biggest Event in the History of Diving"
August 16 - August 27, 2007

The Ultimate Diver Challenge will allow the scuba industry to emphasize the extreme importance that is placed on education while recognizing and rewarding divers for mastering skills essential to the safety of our love for the sport.

DIVERS ARE YOU GOOD AT ONE OR MORE OF THESE DIVE SKILLS??
If Yes, You should be contacting your local dive shop to join a team!

Buoyancy Control and basic dive skills
Finding marine life and underwater photography
Diver Rescue - dynamic live action scenarios
CPR and Oxygen Administration
Underwater Navigation
Underwater Mapping of a wreck and marine life
Search & Recovery
Diving Academics - physiology, physics, environment, equipment, rescue & dive skills, decompression theory and dive tables
Dive planning and diving the plan
Equipment repair and checks
Advanced buoyancy control
Swimming /Snorkeling

If yes, then you will have a blast participating in the Ultimate diver Challenge. Not every team member needs to be good at each skill. As a group the team needs to be able to compete in all these areas.
You will have plenty of time and opportunity to pleasure dive during each day of the competition until the last two days when competition times and dive profiles will be more extensive.

We have the challenges designed and the following general information should allow your team to come prepared and ready for the fun! We will not give specific details as we need to leave some of the information in suspense to keep things interesting and exciting.
The initial challenge is centered on testing a variety of skills looking at the fundamentals of diving; ie. safety knowledge, gear assembly, water entries, buoyancy, navigation and rescue.
Round two will focus more on safety drills and will involve swimming, rescue bags, rescue, recovery, CPR, O2 system assembly etc.
Round three will evaluate the teams ability to plan a dive and dive the plan while underwater mapping of a wreck or specific area and their ability to identify marine life and coral.
Round 4 will involve locating certain items accessing navigation skills and search patterns in a current.
Round 5 is multi task evaluation that will allow divers to delegate roles and responsibilities of underwater assignments. Visibility will become an issue; cutting tools will be needed; roll up straps will be used; swimming and pulling objects; equipment repair and photography skills will be evaluated.
Round 6 is another multi task evaluation centered around situations that arise underwater involving the need for assistance from your dive buddy i.e. out of air, unconscious diver.
The Final Two Challenges will be for the Ultimate Diver Team and is the most exciting part of all! Who will be come the first Ultimate Diver? These first challenge will evaluate bouyancy efficiency through a traditional dive -- and this dive will be video taped. Who has the best entry, who looks the most efficient, smooth and accurate under the water? All on video and judged by the panel.
The second challenge dive will again be video taped but will center on how the diver deals with unexpected situations and emergencies under water. All on video and judged by the panel.
The Ultimate Diver will be announced the following day at the all day beach party during closing ceremonies

Your adventure to the Ultimate Diver Challenge will be full of surprises! The Vacation, The Challenges and opportunity to bring home the titles of the Ultimate Diver Team and the Ultimate Diver with prize money of up to $100,000*, The Fun Diving, The Silent Auction, The Entertainment Parties, Special Appearances of Dive Professionals, The Discover Cozumel Race with a prize that will send your entire team on a return vacation to Cozumel and many additional Prizes donated by our sponsors. It will include a Nine night All-Inclusive stay at your choice of one of Cozumel's finest participating Resorts -- Hotel Cozumel, El Cozumeleno, Fiesta Americana, Reef Club, Melia or Park Royal. Divers will arrive one day before their first competition and the team will compete in their first challenge the following day. The challenges will have two brackets, so each team will have a minimum of two competitions before being eliminated. Initially Dive Teams will be competing in only one challenge daily so there will be lots of time for fun diving and relaxation with your friends.

Teams are now forming through participating Dive Shops. Contact your local dive shop for more information and see our web site for complete details, www.ultimatediverchallenge.com

Pamelia O. Bertrand, Director
Ultimate Diver Challenge
www.ultimatediverchallenge.com
816-765-SCUBA (7282)

Because we don't need a silly "contest" that we win every day we dive off our beaches :p

Hehehe jk. Good luck finding people willing to travel to play.

Interesting competition... do you have a senior age class?

We do not have it broke down by age for this years event...
Perhaps this will be something that we look at for future years....
Interesting thought though...heck -- I hate to even think of how many of us are seniors in age ;-) LOL...I am sure after this year -- there will be many changes...through the feedback of all..

In that case...

Although I often beat twenty- and thirty-somethings on surface swims out to the dive sites, I doubt I could compete successfully with the pick of the crop in events requiring brawn. However, in the brain department I'll gladly go head-to-head with the youngun's!

Hey Dr. Bill ....
There is nothing that requires dawn but it is about essential diving skills that maintain the safety of our sport for you and for those around us......I am certain that with your experience you could potentiall exceed the younger population unfortunately...we are pretty close in age ;-_) Since I created this monster - -I do not have to compete...........
This is about skills that we need to maintain the safety of each of us while participating in the sport...but book knowledge will be assessed in the land challenge of the discover cozumel race...this will be a different adventure on land versus water...
www.ultimatediverchallenge.com
Pam

I got school! Plus August is when the Kelp canopy off of Monterey and Carmel are at its peak and I would not miss it for the world! That is THE reason why I started diving was to swim through 100ft tall kelp forest.

Ben_ca:
Sorry the Nor Cal crowd is too busy diving and watching out for the landlord to be playing :)

Ben,

But diving is playing. I second the motion that Nor Cal divers are always diving--we have great diving year round!

- Ericson

Why not have the scuba diver challenge in a place that is a challenge to dive? 80 degree water and a little current doesn't sound like a challenge to me.

Back
Top Bottom