Drysuit / Wetsuit marriage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Edmonston

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Maybe someone has tried this already?

I currently dive a Pinnacle Evolution2 front zip dry suit. Using either dui or pinnacle undergarments, I find them somewhat restrictive albeit nice and warm.

I am 6'4" and about 265lbs. Not exactly a small guy, not fat, just not small 52" chest. The problem is that the undergarments are chest tight and lifting my arms over my head is restrictive (valve drills etc...).

Now, since I dive mostly caves in N FL, and I am comfy in a 7mm hooded semi dry, I was wondering if using a 1mm or 2mm wetsuit under my drysuit would work, or would I overheat? compression should not be as bad, and mobility will be improved.

Anyone ever tried this or have any thoughts on it? seems like it would work.

Cheers :D

Mike

Can't imagine that wouldn't work in 72 deg water. Doesn't hurt to try.

If that doesn't work, I've heard USIA (and I'm sure others) will custom fit undergarments as well.

Also think there's a thread around here somewhere about cheap ebay undergarments that seem to be able to fit us tall, dark haired, broad-shouldered types. I haven't tried them, but from the thread it looked like people like them. :)

Ive thought about that as well. I know just standing around in a 3 mil you get HOT very quickly. I got my Cheap Ebay Garments in the mail today. Quilted 3xl. I'm 6'6 265, with a 46 in chest and very broad shoulders. I'm a few inches taller than youa nd still had adequate room to move around and a little bit of room in the chest. At 6'4 and 52" I bet the 3xl would fit you perfectly without being too snug in the chest. besides, for 60 bucks, just rebay them on SB if they don;t fit.

Moisture management will be awful but if you don't mind being a sweaty prune at least you'll be comfortable with your drills.

Pete

I think the wetsuit will keep you warm under the drysuit, but the mainproblem willbe comfort. I think that pretty soon you would get sweaty and eventually things will start to chafe :eyebrow:

If you want flexibility to do shutdowns then look at a two piece undersuit, the Fourth Element Xerotherms or the Whites Glacier come to mind, with the top seperate from the body when you reach up there is no pulling in the crotch area.

Try the fourth element xerotherm artic. As its a fleece it is not as bulky as other quilt type undersuits and has good thermal protection

Mike, I've been reading REALLY good things about the Xerotherm Artic. I thinik it will solve you problems. I've been hearing all the right things from ALL the right people. I'm tempted to try it for doing my 1.5-2hr cave dives here in N.FL.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom