Always feel the cold wearing a drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tedshark

Registered
Reaction score
90% of the time I dive with my drysuit I feel cold and it's not only me but the person I am diving with that will also be wearing a drysuit.
I never felt cold wearing my 7mm wetsuit farmer john I guess I need aditional clothing.
What could I wear under my fleese garment to stay warmer?

I have the same problem, but I don't have much extra room in my dry suit. One of my dive buddies suggested some thermal Under Armour tights to wear under my undergarments. I've just ordered them & haven't tried it yet, but I'll let you know how it goes.

I would second the Under Armor. I use it under my undergarmet and it allows for colder/longer dives.

I use fourth element xerotherm artic and am never cold. Quick question, are your wrist seal over tight. This can lead to poor circulation to your hands, make you feel colder

Are you using dry gloves? I felt the same way you do until I changed to dry gloves. My suit also has an attached latex hood and I can put my mask skirt over the edges of it and my head stays dry too. Boy does THAT ever make a difference in my "happy warm diver" level.
Ber :lilbunny:

Um, are you sure the zipper is fully zipped? Three of my buddies diving dry suits have had floods, one in Antarctica! Just teasing ya... I'm sure you'd be well aware if that were the problem.

Although I don't dive dry myself (at least not until Antarctica), I think the other posts have indicated the need for the proper undergarments to keep warm.

Most dry suit undergarments are designed for a specific temperature range. A 100 loft or temperate undergarment is for waters about 72 degrees. 200 loft, for cooler waters of 55 to 70 degrees, and 300-400-loft for freezing water. If you are cold immediately; your undergarment is not giving you enough air entrapment and you should get a heavier weight (loft) undergarment. The easiest way to test this is to add another shirt or long john underwear under your present undergarment. If you are warmer then you need to invest in a greater loft undergarment. Warning, cotton will make you warmer initially but you will sweat and soak the cotton and get wet from your own perspiration. So cotton is not a permanent solution.

tedshark:
90% of the time I dive with my drysuit I feel cold and it's not only me but the person I am diving with that will also be wearing a drysuit.
I never felt cold wearing my 7mm wetsuit farmer john I guess I need aditional clothing.
What could I wear under my fleese garment to stay warmer?
Wear More Fleece (a fleece pullover - like for skiing). Be prepared to add weight to your belt :wink:

I went to EMS and bought "Thick Wick", they have a few types, I bought the thickest one. Works really good, and if you sweat it will pull it away so you don't get chilled.

I only get cold on the torso I will look into buying Under Armor.
I wear wet gloves but my hands don't get cold.
My seals are not tight if I'm not careful my seals will leak at the wrists I think I cut them a little too much.
Great info on the fleese level of protection I'm not sure what mine is but I will look into it I think a vest for the upper body would do the trick for me so I am going to start looking for something like that.

Back
Top Bottom