Fruit and Veg - Addition or Replacement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheTrickster

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Okay guys and gals, a question for you...

Everyone harps on about eating 5-A-Day - which I now do (actually more like 8-9-A-Day) but I'm eating them on top of what I class as 'normal' eating.

I am eating too much? should I replace/remove my lunch and just eat fruit?

Yes I know, I know the chocy biscuit...it is only 130cals :huh::blinking:

For example - My daily intake:

08:00 - Breakfast (20g of Fruit and Fibre and splash of rice milk)
10:00 - Chocolate covered Waferbiscuit (130cals, 7.2g fat) with a cup of coffee
11:30 - Banana
13:00 - Half a tortilla wrap with tuna, lettice, pepper and onion (no butter or mayo)
14:30 - Whole Orange
16:30 - Whole Apple (Royal Gala)
19:00 - Dinner (Normally: 125g of Wholegrain Rice, 2 and half Quorn Sauages, half an onion, quarter of a red pepper, quarter of a carrot)

Is that too much?

What do you guys eat?

Relative to most, your diets ROX0Rs! I am rebalancing toward more fruit. In your case, I might vary the verduras a little, maybe some broccoli/cauliflower and some legumbres.

Quantity seems good, depending on your activity.

Looks good, Trickster!

I have questions for you, and by no means is it meant to be rude. I'm just curious. :wink: You've been incredibly successful in your weight loss/new lifestyle. Why are you questioning your intake now? Have you encountered a plateau? Do you foresee a problem? Again... just being nosy... not meant to be rude questions.

I am one that certainly doesn't eat enough (I don't think). I can't bring myself to eat 4-6 times a day, and I'm still stuck in the 2-3 times/day rut.... then I eat very little. I replaced the "bad food" with fruits and veggies. I bet I'd lose weight faster by an increased metabolism if I ate more often, but I just can't... and it's incredibly hard to do if I'm at work. Heck... I'm lucky to get 15 minutes to eat a sandwich and pee... and that's for a 12 hour shift! ER work is NOT conducive to healthy eating habits. {sigh}

erparamedic:
Looks good, Trickster!

I have questions for you, and by no means is it meant to be rude. I'm just curious. :wink: You've been incredibly successful in your weight loss/new lifestyle. Why are you questioning your intake now? Have you encountered a plateau? Do you foresee a problem? Again... just being nosy... not meant to be rude questions.

Why, thank you very much for your comments! :blinking:

Too be honest, I'm actually not that hungry at lunch, and I buying food, cus thats what you do at lunch! Especially if I eat my banana late! But was a little worried if I was eating too little, if I did remove 'lunch' and just eat fruit!

@Rookers: I had broccoli this evening, instead of peppers! - oh bizarre!

I buy a different veggie every week - this week was broccoli, last week was aubergine and next week I'm doing spinach.

TheTrickster:
Why, thank you very much for your comments! :blinking:

Too be honest, I'm actually not that hungry at lunch, and I buying food, cus thats what you do at lunch! Especially if I eat my banana late! But was a little worried if I was eating too little, if I did remove 'lunch' and just eat fruit!

Ohhhh! I see what you're saying now! :) LOL I understand completely! I suppose the answer to your question.... "would you be eating too little?" depends upon your activity level. You could always try it for 2 weeks and see what happens weight wise! I'd be curious to find out what you find out. LOL (Does that make sense? LOL)

Well.... seems that you are quite successful in your new lifestyle! By the way... nothing beats fresh cut broccoli flourets steamed with a tiny bit of light butter, and a touch of salt! Mmmmm! Yummy!!! :D Keep up your good work! I'm proud of you! :D

My quick two cents would be not to drop your lunch meal for fruit/vegetables. You can add more fruits and veggies, but also need good lean protein. You can get that with certain legumes, tofu and a few other non-meat sources if you are looking to get away from meats, but balance is the key. Apples, bananas, carrots, even some peas and beans are high in sugars, so the benefit is a bit mitigated. If what you are doing is working, I'd stay with it. Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom