Fire Coral

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lawman

Reaction score
How do I recognize fire coral, what does it's sting look like, and what's the best treatment?:confused:

Fire coral is Orange in color with whitish edges. It will encrust many different coral shapes, so you will see it everywhere. If I get stung, I wave water over the area like a breeze under the sea. It helps. I don't have much of a reaction to fire coral stings thank goodness. My skin gets a little red, like a sun burn. Don't rub a fire coral sting. It will spread and get worse. Pour some vineger on the sting or use some benedryl. I just wave the water over it while I am under water. That's all I do.

Actually, the best treatment for fire coral is bouyancy control.

Fire coral is actually not a coral (Class Anthozoa) but a hydrozoan (Class Hydrozoa, specifically Millipora sp.) that secretes an external calcareous skeleton with either an encrusting (taking on the shape of the underlying reef or substrate) or upright and branching growth form. Color varies from light yellow to more bright yellow-orange. Refer to Humann's book on (ironically) corals. I react inconsistently to contact with different Milleporra sp. Some produce considerable irritation while others don't (like everything in this world... probably depends on the individual), but the irritation is always short lived and inconsequential in my experience (in short... I don't worry about it).

All hard, rigid structures with soft polyps protruding from them are fire coral. Don't touch them. Don't kick them. Don't break little peices off of them and put them in your pocket.

:rolleyes:

OK, I'm lying. Just the same, avoiding touching any type of coral at all SHOULD BE just as important to you as avoiding fire coral stings.

Sermon over.

Actually, while fire coral may be orange with whitish edges, it by no means always, or even typically, presents that way.

Common colors include cream, brown, green, yellow, orange & even purple, but mustard brown is by far the most common variation.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

A typical treatment protocol would include:

Rinsing with seawater (avoid fresh water as it can cause unreleased nematocysts to fire)

Apply topical acetic acid (vinegar) or isopropyl alcohol.

Remove any visible tentacles with tweezers.

Immobilize the extremity because movement may cause the venom to spread.

Hydrocortisone cream may be applied 2-3 times daily for itching. Discontinue immediately if any signs of infection appear.

If shortness of breath, swelling in the tongue/face/throat, or other signs of an allergic reaction occur, seek medical attention immediately.

If there are no signs of allergic reaction, and provided that you tolerate them, pain may be relieved with 1-2 acetaminophen (Tylenol) every 4 hours and/or 1-2 ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) every 6-8 hours. As always, carefully follow all directions for use of these medications.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Thanks for the information. Man, I am sure glad I don't have the reaction that would call for the full treatment. In any case, I've never needed to do more than rinse with sea water.

Luckily, most folks don't get full blown systemic reactions, but a fair number do get troublesome skin reactions. I've seen them last for weeks, or longer, and leave long-lasting to permanent discolorations.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

:) Thanks for the info Doc, guys. I guess the best thing is not to touch anything and especially coral looking stuff with colors. I think my wife might have had experience with FC in Jamaica and still has some discoloration on her knee.

Is the venom and reaction consistent witha Bee sting and would an indiviual who is allergic to bees sting be more likely to react to Fire coral?

BTW an onion works great on a bee sting :) Dad was a beekeeper 'bout 1500 hives.

Back
Top Bottom