More Powerful than?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
More powerful than a cattle boat full of JetFins techies, faster than a dozen speeding SeaDoos, just when you thought it was safe to return to the water--be afraid, be very afraid!

The Tekna per my literature makes a maximum of 75 pounds of thrust and about 50 pounds sustainable. I have gotten obscure data that places the SeaDoo basic models at about 6 pounds of thrust and their super duper model at about 15 pounds.

What are some known thrust ratings for various DPVs--just for fun to know? N

DSCF0286.jpg

Cayman Tiger Ray scooter with a front prop. design is rated at 48 lbs. of thrust.

http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/SSTYGERSUB.htm

Given it's rating and it's anemic performance* UW me thinks thrust ratings are greatly exaggerated, or meaningless with regards to actual performance?

X

* my advanced scuba diving students could easily outswim the scooter. A Gavin on setting 5-6 with a poorly trimmed diver could easily blow by in a side to side.

I love my X. My feeling is that Ben's rating of 60 lbs thrust is understated.

I believe the most powerful solo scooter is the HKN-1, made by the inventor dentist from Oshkosh. This scooter produces 105 lbs of static thrust. Towing a diver in a drysuit and wearing doubles, it covers the length of a 25 yard pool in 8 seconds, which is roughly 560 feet per minute.

Pure thrust isn't everything, though. You pay for it in size, mass, and reduced burn time.

All the best, James

<edit> Here's the video BTW

Your probably right about thrust ratings. I suspect that many are just made up. They claim all these high speeds etc yet the few that I have used like the Cayman Tiger and SeaDoos are terribly poor regardless of whatever made up ratings they have. My Teknas will just about yank your arms out of their sockets. I think some scooters like the Tiger that used converted trolling motors probably are limited by the propeller to a large extent. The propeller/shroud that all of the modern high zoot scooters, Gavin, X scooter, etc and the Mako and Tekna is very efficient and moves a lot of water. If you look at the props on these you will notice a high resemblence to the wind farm wind mill propellers that are sprouting up all over. N

Nemrod:
Your probably right about thrust ratings. I suspect that many are just made up. They claim all these high speeds etc yet the few that I have used like the Cayman Tiger and SeaDoos are terribly poor regardless of whatever made up ratings they have.N

This site has thrust ratings! Our homework is done...sorta!

http://www.seascooter.net/comp_rep.htm

x

Thanks for that page. I think there is intentional misinfo there but interesting. The Mako and the other high performance scooters are 24V, not 12V, at least the ones I have seen are. N

robzr:
I wonder how much the thrust varies from unit-to-unit as well... there was some talk on TDS I think about Gavins (I think?) being hand-wound and having a noticable performance difference from unit to unit.

Did anyone else see the Bob for sale on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUABOB-DIVING-...98016425QQcategoryZ114236QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"Ladies...; You can dive with make-up on and come out with dry hair." :D

Rob

There are/were differences in the Gavins. The WKPP members were routinely given the best motors for their exploration scooters. Regular customers got decent motors. I was racing a few WKPP guys and their scooters. They routinely beat mine in a side-to-side race. If anything, my scooter probably drew less juice at a full prop. setting? One WKPP guys melted the innards of his PVC scooter - that model even beat mine!

With that bubble-thing. What happens if the person is rather obese and flips the thing over in the water at 100 ft? Reason I say this is because I saw an obsese person on a scooter flip herself while trying to negotiate a bus ramp.

X

Mr.X:
With that bubble-thing. What happens if the person is rather obese and flips the thing over in the water at 100 ft? Reason I say this is because I saw an obsese person on a scooter flip herself while trying to negotiate a bus ramp.

X

Yeah that thing looks kind of scary.... now what about the Apollo/Dacor scooters, are those any good? Looks like they are both rated @ 40 lbs, but the AV-1 is 12v while the AV-2 is 24v. The prop design is different than the Mako/Tekna setup.

Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom