DC drygloves on zipseals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LG Diver

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My buddy is interested in adding the DC drygloves to his DUI suit that has zipseals on it. I seem to remember someone posting some pics here a while back of how they did this, and it looked pretty nice. Of course, my search skills have failed me now that I'm looking for this post. Does anyone remember the thread I'm talking about? Can you help a brother out and point me to it?

Thanks,
John

I'm the guy. Here they are.

59670892.ZipSealDCGLoveComparison.jpg

59670916.ZipSealDCGLove.jpg

PM me if you need more info. I've done this enought times to do it in my sleep.

Thanks

---
Ken

Thanks Ken! I thought it was you that posted it- in fact I searched for posts by you but still couldn't find it. Thanks for reposting.

-John

You gotta pull off the latex zip seal, turn it inside out and follow the instructions on the DC site. It may take a few tries, but you'll get it.

The DC gloves are pretty rough on the seals (on all seals, really) as there is never a chance for the seal to hide in the suit (during your SI, during transport, etc.) like there is when there is nothing on it... so its exposed, streched, has a couple of Orings jammed onto it, etc.

What I'm saying, is seals with dry glove rings on them don't last as long as the same seals without the rings. Be sure to have a spare set of zips in the bag.

Its not a huge deal with zip seals, though - as I've been diving my suit with the zip seals removed (just open sleeves) with the DC rings for a long time now. I don't do any deco diving where a flood would prevent me from coming to the surface. The air exchange with no wrist seal is seamless, and I've never had a problem running seal-less. Its another way to go if you don't want to beat up the only pair of zip wrists you have - just ride bareback. Lots of us do.

"flood" - silly word. I've punctured LOTS of dry gloves. Its never, ever, ever been a "flood", as in deluge. A finger gets wet, I finish a dive then just change out the glove on the SI using my home made DC Glove tool and use my spare liners while the wet one dries.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
The DC gloves are pretty rough on the seals (on all seals, really) as there is never a chance for the seal to hide in the suit (during your SI, during transport, etc.) like there is when there is nothing on it... so its exposed, streched, has a couple of Orings jammed onto it, etc.

What I'm saying, is seals with dry glove rings on them don't last as long as the same seals without the rings. Be sure to have a spare set of zips in the bag.

Now that I finally figured out that the DC gloves actually get installed on the seal itself and not above it, what has been your estimate in dives/time before the frankenglove eats up your seals? I have the DAM zipgloves but was thinking of looking into this system next, mainly because DC gloves would give the option of cheaper replacement gloves.

Mo2vation:
Its not a huge deal with zip seals, though - as I've been diving my suit with the zip seals removed (just open sleeves) with the DC rings for a long time now.

Gee, don't your sleeves get too short on you this way? I gotta look into this. I thought mine would.

P.S. And do you have secret zip stump warehouse somewhere?

piikki:
Now that I finally figured out that the DC gloves actually get installed on the seal itself and not above it, what has been your estimate in dives/time before the frankenglove eats up your seals? I have the DAM zipgloves but was thinking of looking into this system next, mainly because DC gloves would give the option of cheaper replacement gloves.

Gee, don't your sleeves get too short on you this way? I gotta look into this. I thought mine would.

P.S. And do you have secret zip stump warehouse somewhere?

They last a long time - remember, I live in SoCal (sun, smog) and I'm doing 250+ dives a year. So they get mashed. I got over a year on my last set.

The most important thing it to keep the powdered and out of the sun. I do the former only sporatically, and almost never do the latter - my stuff essentially gets stored outside (in the shade) so YMMV.

I'm 5'8". 168 and kinda thick - I have a 30" inseam and short arms, so it wasn't an issue. In fact, I turn all of my DC gloves into "Hamburger Helper" gloves - meaning I re-set them on the ring just below the rough line... making short gloves. When I am using the zip seals on my 350, I use the stubby gloves. When I put the rings right onto the suit (no zips) I use the long / original version. With the tool it takes a couple of minutes to change them out. No biggie.

On my CF200 I always dive the HH version - as they have standard glue-on seals.

When the seals start to go, its really no biggie. A bike innertube patch kit and you're back in business. I patched my last set a number of times before I took them off and went commando. I just put them back on - and they're fine.

Zip Stump... nice. :rofl3:

---
Ken

Here are the two gloves. Normal install on the left, Hamburger Helper variant (with patched finger) on the right.

---
Ken

75792011.9XMtZCmf.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom