backplate wingnut loosening incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reggiehg

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I recently purchase a Dive Rite backplate & trekwing assembly. Before my dive, I asked my instructor, who assisted me w/ the purchase, if hand-tightening the wingnuts were enough (NO lock-washers present), and he said yes, as well as checked the tightness himself.

Unfortunately, during my 1st dive w/ my brandnew equipment, after only a few minutes underwater, at about 15 meters, a dive buddy noticed both wingnuts missing. We aborted the dive, and when we were back in the boat, the dive buddy who noticed the problem said that my wingnuts should not only be tool-tightened, but should also have wingnuts.

After the dive, I asked the shop where I purchased the equipment what the procedure should be, and they said when the equipment is brandnew, tool-tightening is necessary. Afterwards, hand-tightening is sufficient. Furthermore, lock-washers are not necessary.

Then I asked the distributor of Dive Rite, and this time they said lock-washers are necessary but hand-tightening is sufficient.

What's the real deal here???

Regards,

Reggie

Tavi:
How could your buddy notice the wingnuts missing?? they should be out of sight between the BP and your back!!
EASY! X-Ray glasses. :D

I use ss lock washers. I also check for tightness before each dive (habit). The first time you screw on the BP and dive it, there will be some natural settling in and shifting which could require another turn or two at the end of the dive.

Tavi:
How could your buddy notice the wingnuts missing?? they should be out of sight between the BP and your back!!
Maybe the tanks slipping off and the wing hanging on by the LP hose were the give away? :D

do it easy:
Maybe the tanks slipping off and the wing hanging on by the LP hose were the give away? :D
:rofl3:

>>>>>

Is this a serious post?
If I lost my wingnuts my tanks would be headed to the bottom dragging me down by the long hose

I don't think so if your BP/W is a basic set up like other manufactures' ones.

The lock nut is a "must have" part unless DR is using a specialized win-nut.

Otherwise, you will loose your win-nut again.

Tanks starts waggling when the bolt works loose.

Edit) Spelling

hoosier:
I don't think so if your BP/W is a basic set up like other manufactures' ones.

The lock nut is a "must have" part unless DR is using a specialized win-nut.

Otherwise, you will lost your win-nut again.

Tanks starts waggling when the bolt works loose.

I know I only have 100 dives with the backplate and wing but I have never used a lock washer and I have never had the plate loosen even a little bit.

I don't use lock washers on my setup either. Just hand tighten. I'm a pretty strong guy though and hand tight for me is PRETTY tight.

I have nearly 800 dives on my plate and wings and have never put a tool on them or had them come loose. I do not use lock washers. This is with the ABS, Al, and SS plates. I hand tighten them until they will not move any more. Did you make sure the wing was layed out flat with no wrinkles before you put the plate on?

Jerry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom