dry-suits who makes the best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dad

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Im just starting to look at drysuits. I live about 5 minutes from Lake Ontario, 20 minutes from the Niagara river, and about 30min from Lake Erie, so the way I see it my new 7mm wet suit should be good for about 6 month out of the year, I'm definitely going to have to get myself a drysuit if I plan to dive all year. the thing is I dont no JACK! about what to look for in a drysuit. Im know rich guy, but when it comes to my tools/toys I dont like to skimp, (you get what you pay for) so when it comes to a drysuit, what should I be looking for? what are the top 3 manufacturers?

Thanks Bill

I love my compressed neoprene Seasoft drysuit...Keeps me dry, warm, easy to use......Neoprene is the warmest type of drysuit, it might take a bit more weight to get down, but comfort to me is more important...plus with the extra thermals you will wear with some other suits, it almost comes out to a wash....Its extremely durable...it has dynahyde on the entire exterior(same thing they use on the gloves which is almost indestructable) a Sci- Tech wrist dump, with the raglan sleeves this is extremely easy to use...raglan sleeves offer more material in the armpit area so that when the air is trying to exhaust, it doesnt have to struggle to get to the dump, there is an open path right out.....plus with a BP/W or regular BC, it doesnt get in the way at all....extremely easy to get in and out of...with stretch-tex instead of latex seals, I have insulation at my extremities as well as an extremely comfortable and dry seal.....Built in rock boots, the only suit with an actual tennis shoe type, arch supporting, built in boot.... I guess Im looking a bit biased, sorry, but I really like this suit :D

Thats my input....if I had to do it again, I would still go with the seasoft, then whites, then pinnacle

Bill, Bill, Bill. Haven't even gotten your new wetsuit wet and your allready looking for a dry suit.:shakehead Suffering from a little GAS? (gear acquisition syndrome)

I think your question is a little like asking who makes the best car? It all depends what you like. Suffice it to say that (imho) there are no crappy scuba manufacturers. Like with everything, look around to see what's locally available and servicable. What fits best, and ultimately what your wife will think makes you look like a ninja in the bathtub.:wink: I have a BARE nex-gen and like it very well, and I have allways found BARE to have excellent customer service.

Matthew

mjatkins:
Bill, Bill, Bill. Haven't even gotten your new wetsuit wet and your allready looking for a dry suit.:shakehead Suffering from a little GAS? (gear acquisition syndrome)

I think your question is a little like asking who makes the best car? It all depends what you like. Suffice it to say that (imho) there are no crappy scuba manufacturers. Like with everything, look around to see what's locally available and servicable. What fits best, and ultimately what your wife will think makes you look like a ninja in the bathtub.:wink: I have a BARE nex-gen and like it very well, and I have allways found BARE to have excellent customer service.

Matthew
OK you got me, I guess I have GAS! is 38 to young for a midlife-crisis?:mooner:

I'd cast my vote for Bare. They is starting to build quite a following. I recently purchased one of their top-end trilam suits ... a Trilam HD Tech.

The best advice so far......try out alot of them and make a decision based on what works for you.....try as many as you can above and in the water...this will help you to figure out what fits you......Dont just buy something because people here say its good...no-one will tell you that something they spent this much money on is terrible....well maybe some would but not many.....learn as much as you can and make an educated decision based on what suit fits your needs and body the best :wink: Too bad your not closer, I have alot you could try out :D Sounds like its time for a roadtrip...wanna go Ice diving :D

I dive a whites suit and have found it to be quite well made. I do however have two issues with whites. The first is that their "custom fit" suits have a tendancy to not fit quite right, I know of people who have had to sedn their suits back because they didn't fit. My suit itself is a little short in the waist which makes reaching my valves a bit tricky. My other issue is that if I want to get anything donw to my suit by whites it will take about 6 weeks, and I onlyhave to ship my suit to the island. So if you're in ontario you could be waiting a llllooooonnnggggg time.

I know quite a few people who dive with bare and are happy with them

DUI seems to be another big one, but they're easier to find in the states.

Pinnacle, best bang for the buck.
Great suits and great undergarments.
There suits are one of the best built I have seen. Makes some of the other guys look like there diving in a garbage bag. If you live up here you need a tough suit, the wrecks and zebra muscles are a killer.

We should go diving, I live just on the other side of the pond. I can show off my Pinnacle :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom