penetration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wreck/Tec

Contributor
Reaction score
Viewing the insides of wrecks is different. You should have alot of confidence in your ability, and the tools to do it correctly and safely. It goes with out saying you should have some training. If an opening looks too small, or you have any questions ask your self if it's worth it. I got stuck on The Boland in Lake Erie at 130 feet. I had questions. By the time I said it wasn't worth it, it was to late. My partner who was smaller went in first. I was content to watch because of the size of the opening. I lost sight of him and went in a little to see if he was ok. I was 4 ft. in and hung up with doubles. The reel saved me ultimately. I dumped my air from my BC and dry suit and sat there until I settled in a chocolate cloud. I un clipped my 50-100 %bottlesand set them in front of me as I moved rearward. 5 minutes later I was free. I had my gear and life back. My dry suit was all covered with rust. My partner was behind me, little did I know. He had gone through some how and circled around. I am very choosey these days!

No sense in beating around the bush Walter. I guess I missed the main point of the thread. IMO, even with the training and equipment wrecks get pretty nasty inside. Also there is the unpredictable nature of the open ocean. I like to learn the outside of the wreck first. If I determine that there is a reason to penetrate I do so incrementally and learn it as I go. I use a line but prefer to know the lay of things.

Mike,
What was it that hung you up... the stages or just the bulk of the gear? Don't you normally remove your stages before entering a wreck.

Also, did't your partner know that you wern't behind him. The fact that he was behind you when you finally got free I don't think was to cool. If you had have forced the issue and gone deeper and got stuck again trying to get to your buddy, then what?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom