Out of Business

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

algorithm

Reaction score
Hello

I went to get an air fill this morning and found my dive shop shut down gone out of business with a ballifs note on the door. Academy Dive Center on Kennedy Rd north of Sheppard . Another one bites the dust in great old TO.

A

I am not surprised, rumor has it if the Ontario government has it's way it could likely force a lot of small shops to close the doors. Was in Quebec city last week and saw an article in a french newspaper about a diver sueing a shop for over 2 million dollars for a bad air incident. The girl I date works for a provincial member of the Ontario government and has seen a number of documents of late regarding air quality across the province and there maybe enforcement of labor laws ditating the quality of air supplied by dive shops, apparently loads of concern the next lawsuit will be against an Ottawa store!

Hello

I've heard that story about the bad air law suit in Quebec as well. Perhaps its time we all purchased our own portable air compressors and said good buy to the grumpy guy at the dive shop.

Algorithm

May not be a bad idea, if some people had a clue as to what they were breathing they may ask more questions when they get their tanks filled. Like when was your last air test done and to what standards was it tested to?

Diver Bouey did the translation (thanks) of the article you refer to in another thread:

Using the Google translation engine - its not exactly what your french professor would accept but you get the point:

A plunger brings a continuation in Quebec

Canadian Press
Quebec

A 26 year old plunger whose life was completely broken by the inhalation during two hours of carbon monoxide contained in its bottles brings a continuation of 2,3 million against those which it considers responsible for its irreversible handicaps.

Affected of a permanent disability of 100%, François Isabelle, of Valley-Bélair, will remain unable to carry out some work that it is. According to description that in fact its lawyer, the young man is now physically and mentally limited.

In his action deposited in higher Court, the applicant holds responsible underwater Plongée Nautilus, a company of Quebec specialized in the sale and the hiring of equipment of deep-sea diving, and Envirolab, a Sainte-Foy company specialized in the environmental analysis.

The pled facts go back to September 1999. At that time, one engaged plungers to decontaminate the bed of the Jacques-Cartier river. The cylinders of compressed air used by the plungers were rented of deep-sea Diving Nautilus, which filled them using a compressor with gasoline. For its part, Envirolab provided a certificate of analysis of the compressed air, according to the declaration of the applicant.

At the end of his first diving, September 9, François Isabelle left water while coughing violently and while vomitting. He has difficulty in remain upright and he has several losses of conscience. At the hospital of the base of Valcartier, where one must transport it, it receives oxygen pure. One must however transfer it to the Sacré-Coeur hospital, of Montreal, to receive treatments in room hyperbare.

Thereafter, its health does not cease however worsening. It has increasing problems of memory and concentration, difficulty in speak and eat as well as frequent spasms and tremors. The blood tests reveal that it has in its blood a rate of carboxyhaemoglobin of 29% there whereas it should not have had. The inspectors of the CSST measure besides that the bottles of the applicant contained between 17 and 51 parts per million of carbon monoxide, that is to say ten times the allowed limit.

Since then, various problems of health, especially of neuropsychological nature, made rock the life of François Isabelle towards the nightmare and it will never go back from there, reports one in his declaration.

It underwent a severe attack of the memory and a significant psychomotor deceleration affects it in an irrevocable way. It forever became a burden for its joint and for the company, it is describes in its declaration.

According to prosecutors' of the resident of Valley-Bélair, the fault of deep-sea Diving Nautilus was to install the pure air intake with 1,6 meter above the compressor used to fill the bottles of the plungers. This height, pleads one, was insufficient to prevent that the air is contaminated by gases resulting from the internal combustion of the compressor with gasoline.

I went to get an air fill this morning and found my dive shop shut down gone out of business with a ballifs note on the door. Academy Dive Center on Kennedy Rd north of Sheppard . Another one bites the dust in great old TO.

I am not surprised, rumor has it if the Ontario government has it's way it could likely force a lot of small shops to close the doors.

Before anyone jumps to any conclusions, the #1 reason for a bailff's note on a business door in Ontario (and the biz being closed) is usually because the business owner has failed to pay the rent.

Probably the landlord took them to court to have the premises sealed & put a lien on any on-site assets to help satisfy the debt.

If you REALLY want more info, go check at the Ministry of Consumer & Business Services to see if a lien has been placed against the shop/business.

~SubMariner~

Hay BubbleBoy

Actually the shop owner cleaned the place out befor the baliff could get his greedy hands on anyhting, its just like the guys who liquidate crown accets he he. I hear there's no law in Ontario giving baliffs the power to change locks or to sell off goods unless mandated by a court of law.

Algorithm = MC

In Ontario, the baliff (or shireff) gets involved after a court order has been issued. And yes, changing the locks is a usual part of denying access to the property.

Once the rent has been put into arrears, the landlord can go to a magistrate and get a lien. At that time, the baliff gets involved to stop the leasee from accessing the property. The leasee must be granted access to remove "personal" belongings but cannot remove anything else without permission of the courts.

The lien basically ensures that there is property there to cover what the landlord is owed. (just like a mortgage lien or a tradesmans lien) Of course, it doesn't matter much if the guy cleared out the place before he left.

The Baliff has nothing to do with it. He is just doing his job, he can only sell off assets when ordered to by a court order.

This is what I remember from basic law class about 15 years ago,. Memory could be foggy or things might have changed. Seek out your own legal counsel.

What you say is true, but many slum lords and there freinds the Baliffs do as they please with out any court orders and with out any penalties to them.:bonk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom