Strengthening my Back

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warthaug

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Back in December I did quite a number on my back, and have just been cleared by my doc to start physical activity again. I've never had any back trouble worth talking about before, and have always had a pretty strong back (lifetime of hiking, backpacking and back country skiing made sure of that). Now my back is weak, extremely weak :((

So I'm kindof in the dark here, and my doctor didn't give me a whole lot of advice about what are good exercises (other then if it hurts don't do it - good advice at any time). I've been doing some leg-lifts which seem to help, but I don't see those getting it back to normal. I tried one of those big exercise balls, but it just hurt, so I don't think I'm ready for those yet.

So any recommendations of good exercises to strengthen by back?

thanx

Bryan

Talking to a trainer or physical therapist is a good start. An easy yoga class, transitioning into the more strength oriented practices would also do well. You really should not just exercise the back, its part of your 'core' which should be worked together to help prevent further issues.

Thnx rookers

Only problem I have is that my "gym' is a room in the basement of my building - not trainers, not classes, just equipment. I know I'm supposed to work my core, although I was advised against some core exercises like sit-ups (until my back strengthens). Yoga is an interesting idea - plus it's something I can do at home as well. I'll take a look at that.

Bryan

I'd second the advice to pop by a physical therapist. They usually have a sheet they give you right away (you know, they promote you doing all the work from get-go anyways), and you can ask for more. They also show how to do the stuff right.

If you never had problems before and never had to take it easy, it's very easy to go either too rough or too easy with the rehab on injured back. Don't expect to get scuba-specific instruction from PT but for general strengthening the right way just one visit might be worth getting a referral for/paying. You can find advice on exercises on net but sometimes it's not so simple to do even the simplest things correctly when you are still sore and avoiding some moves.

I have back problems, was always active in sports and knew a lot of back exercises. When I have recurrence I still consider going for a refresher with PT to get new ideas and just get started out right.

An oft overlooked facet of heading off lower back pain is stretching the hamstrings correctly and thoroughly. When they get "banjo tight" the put undue stress on the lower back. (assuming that is the area you hurt).

When I had some lower back issues, my brother had me using the Back Machine with fairly light weights and 15-20reps to warmup the back before doing any other exercises. I also did some knee lifts to help strengthen the lower abs.

None of these things are "magic bullets" by themselves, but as part of a more comprehensive program you can regain some of the strength in your lower back. These things I've pointed out just happen to be some of the areas where I needed improvement and saw good gains to lower back strength with rare back pain even commonly horsing around twin steel 104's around. Your mileage may vary! :)

(Of course, my back ALWAYS hurts when it comes time to carry the laundry basket upstairs!! ...no cure for that I guess!!) :rofl3:

I used to have handouts on back exercises. I am sure you can google it. My local gym has very nice equipments for both extension and flexion exercises of the back.

You might go to your local gym first, see what equipment they have, try it out. Then go to the physical therapy folks and let them tell you what machine is best for you, and what routine they would recommend.

Start here:

"Treat Your Own Back," by Robin McKenzie
http://www.amazon.com/Treat-Your-Ba...3294500?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174660386&sr=8-1

It's a whopping $10 plus shipping, and it will change your idea of what a back injury means and how to take care of it.

Google bird dogs, super heroes, swimmers, and wave offs for some great exercises that are extremely effective while being very benign on the lower back. While strong abs are also important, an over-emphasis on ab work is a common cause of lumbar pain. In fact, sit-ups are probably not something you should think about doing ever again, as there are many other effective ways of strengthing your abdominal and oblique muscles without putting a shear stress on your lumbar spine.

Cameron

Since you were injured I would talk to a professional. I would stick to cable machines: cable row and pulldowns.

Warthaug:
Back in December I did quite a number on my back, and have just been cleared by my doc to start physical activity again. I've never had any back trouble worth talking about before, and have always had a pretty strong back (lifetime of hiking, backpacking and back country skiing made sure of that). Now my back is weak, extremely weak :((

So I'm kindof in the dark here, and my doctor didn't give me a whole lot of advice about what are good exercises (other then if it hurts don't do it - good advice at any time). I've been doing some leg-lifts which seem to help, but I don't see those getting it back to normal. I tried one of those big exercise balls, but it just hurt, so I don't think I'm ready for those yet.

So any recommendations of good exercises to strengthen by back?

thanx

Bryan

Everyone getting into a training regiment should know
this site by heart:

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/artic...item=6436714fa4d21110VgnVCM10000013281eac____

Try doing deadlifts. Just make sure to start off with a light weight and make sure you do it correctly, or else you'll hurt your back even more.

Back
Top Bottom