Oh wonderful. An online tech course.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

detroit diver

Contributor
Reaction score
As I understand it that "course" no longer actually exists. I believe the guy that dreamed that up is no longer with that company. Obviously their site needs updated.........

Tom

Just had a quick flick through the website - aren't they just replacing the classroom time with online learning? So you still have to do the dives to get the certification? That doesn't sound so bad.

Did see however a 200' deep air class they run.

Wreckwriter,

I hope you're right about that. I couldn't believe what I was looking at.

Scubaroo,

The problem with this is that there is no give and take as with a live instructor. Especially in an advanced course like this, I can't see how one can learn "tech" diving. I don't like online courses for any level of diving.

I don't think there's anything wrong with online courses as long as you need to complete dives to get the certification. Also, I think online courses should have some sort of online chat or a phone number to call an instructor if you need further explanation/clarification on particular issues. It's the wave of the future baby, buckle up and hold on! :wink:

I don't want the pilot on the plane of my next vacation to have taken an online course. I don't want my doctor to have taken an onlline course. I don't want my lawyer to have taken an online course.

Aquamaniac once bubbled...
Whats the differance between that and buying a GUE tech manual online?

You can read the manual, but you have to take the class with an instructor.

I didn't say "don't study an reading materials".

Hello

I think it may work for academics, but you still need the visable instructor with you while doing your dives. I can't imaging a tech course of any calibre with out a real person to guide you.I strongly believe that TDI and IANTD in the future will all be dissolved by PADI and reprogramed and or shut down. Lets face the facts fellow divers, I get sick to my stomach every time I hear the word PADI when its associated with Teck diving but I'm also realistic when I see they've put together a fantastic tecWreck program and its inevitable they will be the number one association. My problem with PADI is were there getting the instructors good enough to teach TecWreck, especialy in cold water areas.

Algorithm :bonk:

IMO, home study or online study is a good way to prepare for class not a good substitute for class. What I have to say in class isn't in the book. I only regergitate from the book if I have to. IMO, these online courses (the ones meant to replace classroom) are just another way for sharp internet ops to cash in on cheap or lazy people who believe a thing is true because they like it.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom