Intermittent Recompression Stops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divesherpa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Anyone have actual experience doing Intermittent Recompresssion Stops? Also, where is the best source for info that you are aware of?

Cheers and safe diving,
Sherpa

Divesherpa once bubbled...
Anyone have actual experience doing Intermittent Recompresssion Stops? Also, where is the best source for info that you are aware of?

Cheers and safe diving,
Sherpa

Is this one of those things where if you don't know what it means you shouldn't comment on it?

Definately

Divesherpa once bubbled...
Definately

OK. "Recompression", as opposed to "decompression", has thrown me. That's generally a chamber term but I think you are one who knows what's he's talking about so I'll hang out and see what replies you get.

Tom

Hopefully, someone with far more knowledge on the subject will chime in and provide far more detailed answers to your query.
Intermittent Recompression Stops are "theoretically" used to pound bubbles into submission. During extended decompressions using deep stops (as per VPM), the subject (diver) descends back down 20-30 feet to allow the small bubbles to be reduced further. It is basically an attempt to break down the bubbles.
It is vital to understand that the bubbles have a layer on the outside that strengthens the bubble itself, which makes the bubble not want to decrease in size. This exterior coat on the bubbles has a great deal to do with why the bubbles don't go away faster and why our decompression is so lengthy.

Hopefully Weinke or someone else will chime in and explain this far better than I can. My knowledge on the subject is very limited, hence the post.

Cheers and I hope this helps,
Sherpa

I think this should be asked in the Ask Dr. Deco section.

I have never heard of doing such a thing during a dive but there are probably lots of things I,ve never heard of.

I DO NOT KNOW THE ANSWER HERE!, but wouldn't periodic descents down 20-30 feet be creating a saw tooth profile?
While this is not a traditional saw tooth, because of the slope towards the surface, it is still a saw tooth.

Traditional Saw tooth profiles are known bubble generators , in higher risk of DCS and are to be avoided.

MikeD
:blfish:

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I think this should be asked in the Ask Dr. Deco section.

I have never heard of doing such a thing during a dive but there are probably lots of things I,ve never heard of.

I was asking for practical applications. Not theory. I've spoken with Eric Baker on the issue. He's the dude that runs comparisons on JJ after WKPP dives. He mentioned the point.
Can this be moved back to where PRACTICAL APPLICATION can answer?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom