DUI Zipseals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chevv58

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone been using these, and do they think they are worth it? Have you had one tear? Easy replacement? Thoughts?

Yea, normally I'd agree, that's usually a good method of finding information on boards. Except for the fact that, here, most threads turn into a three year game of telephone with the first two or three replies being about the subject in question, then turning into some argument about the best decompression algorithm or who's charter boat has the best shaped hull.

Besides, it never hurts to re-kindle the flames every once and a while with some fresh information.

chevv58:
Has anyone been using these, and do they think they are worth it? Have you had one tear? Easy replacement? Thoughts?

I have but disclaimer: I have not used anything else and have used them less than a year. I use the zip seals and neoprene gloves in warmer water, and Zip (DAM) gloves in colder (most of the time) water. I also have zip seal on my neck and don't find it uncomfy like some claim. Zips have never popped off on their own. You can pull on them pretty hard after they installed on correctly, seal would probably rip first...

I have had no leaks and no tears. I swap between the seals and gloves and it's a no brainer, takes about 3 minutes to swap with a little aid of soapy water. This far I never needed a quick replacement which was the reason I got them (I don't want to be missing dives and do not have a second suit).

Negatives - first of all price. Way too high. I plan to re-use the zip stumps an glue regular gloves/seals on them in future for extras. And second, sometimes it's inconvenient that that the gloves are attached to the suit, especially in colder weather during surface interval when you'd like to keep the drysuit top on but have the use of bare hands. However, I don't have much trouble suiting up with the gloves on. If you only plan to get seals, that's no issue.

I love em, they arent as easy to swap as people say takes me about 5-10 minutes, but way faster then a normal seal repair. I don't love the zipseal on the neck as much as I do on the hands, but to be honest if I had to do it again I would get all three zip seals again.

Cheekymonkey:
I love em, they arent as easy to swap as people say takes me about 5-10 minutes, but way faster then a normal seal repair. I don't love the zipseal on the neck as much as I do on the hands, but to be honest if I had to do it again I would get all three zip seals again.

I would say the neck change probably takes me over 20minutes... if not more if it starts going wrong but I hopefully don't need to touch it too often. And I agree I'd give up the neck first but I thought that if I invest so much on being self-sufficient why not be all self-sufficient on the field - local shops send away for seal repairs...

Everyone I've talked to has said they break way too easy. You can change them out fast, yes, but regular seals aren't as fragile, and the replacement seals are EXPENSIVE!

They all say it's worth it because they'll never miss a dive, but I decided to pass on the new suit I just bought. When it comes time to change seals (due to age or accident) perhaps I'll convert over, but I'm saving my money for now.

During my DS class I had to change the neck seal (part of the class) on the rental suit I was using for a new one, and it only took me about 5 min. I don't see what the issue is. A good helpful tip was using a damp+ sponge that had dish soap soaked into it. Rub it on lightly to get some sudsy on the zips, and it snapped right in no problem.

chevv58:
Yes - I've torn one. Once - so far. I use my dry suit for about 100 or so dives before I tore the wrist seal.

Was it easy to replace.

Yes.

They came with my drysuit...

I think they're great.

If you don't have them, I'm telling you - the first time you're on a 3 day trip, and you rip a neck seal on dive 2 of day 2, and you're looking at a day and a half of stellar diving from the top deck, your next suit (as mine was and is) will likely have them.

I've only ripped 2 neck seals - the one before zips on that 3 day boat, and one about 3 years ago AFTER I had zips.

If I wasn't diving zip seals, I'd be diving a neoprene neck seal.

---
Ken

Back
Top Bottom