Colorado Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scrappy

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am getting transfered to Colorado this summer and want to know if anyone has any experience with the diving there. I grew up there, but i was not a diver then. Are any of the lakes deep enough to do any deco dives in. I would like to be able to keep praticeing skills in between trips to the ocean. Currently I have the luxury of diving in Okinawa, Japan, and I will miss the nice warm water. Well anyway any info I can get would be greatly appreciated.

Scrappy

Yeah there are some lakes that are deep enough for deco. Although the viz is usually pretty bad and there isn't much to see in them. Good practice in some of the shallow ones for touch contact, navigation, etc... Some of the popular sites are aurora res, carter lake, navajo lake, pueblo res. A lot of people go down to NM in Santa Rosa to Blue Hole where the viz is always good and never freezes.
Have fun, SLJ

I've been in Aurora(Denver metro area), Chatfield(also), Carter, Jefferson (fun high altitude), Twin Lakes (more high altitude, and ice), Blue Mesa, Rifle Gap, Wellington, and Turquoise. Been to Blue Hole in NM way too many times.

Hope you have a drysuit. Some of these can be done in a heavy wetsuit in later summer. Vis ain't so hot, you can sure work on skills, we are really low water-level wise this year, but you can get down to 200' some places.

And there's still Wyoming.

If you'd like, mail me at scubaturek@underctek.com for more, or if you think it would be of general interest, post it.

Glad to help,
Joe

Has anyone ever dove in Lake Powell. I know when I use to go there the water eas always real clear, but I was not a diver then.

Scrappy

Vis was pretty bad but we didn't go very deep and we were back in one of the canyons.
Ber :bunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom