Tank Compressor Wanted...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shadragon

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I suspect that after picking up a house (with requisite garage / workroom), I will be after an air compressor to refill tanks. I came up with this wish list:

- Rated for SCUBA cylinders with dehydrator (obviously)
- Electric powered - 120 VAC
- 5000 PSI
- DIN / YOKE connections
- Reasonably quiet (I will have neighbours I will want to keep happy)

- Portable <--- This is not a must have, but it might make for a good option when mated with my mini-generator if I go somewhere for an extended period.

The 5000 PSI would give me a bit of headroom over what I need (3500 for steel 120's), but I suspect that if you get one with just a rating of 3500 it will have to work a while to get it up there.

Would also like to use it for air powered tools and other non-diving related stuff so an attached pressure tank may become necessary as well. I know this will cost a few bucks, but with the amount of gas I burn and cost of fills it might be worthwhile.

Anyone else been down the same road? Thoughts, ideas, comments?

Cheers...

Well I can't help you much with the Scuba compressor part, but I've built several shop compressors, and I would suggest just buying a 25 to 30 gallon 120 volt compressor from Canadian Tire or Home Depot or the like. Have it setup with an inline oiler, so you don't have to manually lubricate your tools all the time. A shop compressor storage tank is usually ~135 PSI, so using your scuba compressor to fill it would be a PITA, and running ultra dry scuba air through your tools without regular oiling would kill them in a hurry. One other thing, hopefully some more knowledgable scuba compressor guys will chime in, but I would think 120 volt might be pretty low for that application. Consider 240 if you can get it in your garage.

Jim

One more suggestion, if the Moderators don't move this thread, try re-posting in the compressor forum of the gear section. You'll get a lot more knowledgable responses there. Hope you find what you need.

Jim

Jimmer:
One more suggestion, if the Moderators don't move this thread, try re-posting in the compressor forum of the gear section. You'll get a lot more knowledgable responses there. Hope you find what you need.

Jim
Whoops! I did look, but I missed it... Mods, feel free to move this. Sorry!

It's not the pressure that determines how long it takes to fill a tank it's the cubic feet per minute the compressor is capable of pumping. If you want portable go gas powered. Scuba compressors don't make good shop compressors, to low a cfm and why put run time and ware and tear on an expensive compressor ($3000+)and the filters when a shop compressor can be had for a few hundred dollars.

It seems that a lot of people have been going with the alkin compressors for home setups. They seem to be relatively small and quiet, but can run nearly continuously and have no problems with higher pressures. They are also significantly cheaper than Bauers.

If you are looking at used machines be very careful and be prepared to do some repairs. I picked up an ancient bauer that needed a lot of assembly and TLC. That said I learned a lot and love being able to fill myself and mix nitrox. The older machines were generally built before HP tanks were common and usually set for lower pressures (my relief valve goes at 3400 PSI). YOu may also want to look at RPM as a rough indicator of noise... Mine is about 1100RPM and is quiet enough to talk beside. I have heard that the faster ones are quite a bit worse, but don't have experience with them.

For what its worth i would recommend a big budget and if you aren't too handy look at new or prefessionally reconditioned machines.

shadragon:
- Electric powered - 120 VAC

- Portable <--- This is not a must have, but it might make for a good option when mated with my mini-generator if I go somewhere for an extended period.
Just a quick note on portability. A 120 VAC compressor draws a lot of power. The minimum size of generator needed to power one is about 7 KW. If you plan on taking a compressor with you on dive trips, I suggest going with a gasoline powered one or getting a compressor that has both electric and a gasoline kit.

Bauer and Coltri Sub each has one that has both engine and motor available ... Bauer Junior II and the ColtriSub MCH6. The Bauer runs about $4700 with the kit and the Coltri about $3400. The capacity for both when plugged in to the house is about 2.9 CFM and about 4.2 CFM when run by the gasoline engine.

Back
Top Bottom