Suit Thickness in Gulf of Mexico (Flower Gardens)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jedi

Registered
Reaction score
Question for those who have a perspective on the Flower Gardens (100 mi off Texas in Gulf of Mexico) - temp wise, what are people wearing? 5's with a 3mil shorty? 7m's with hoods? dry suits?

I have a 6.5 semi dry that I use to dive local lakes in the winter months so I'm thinking about bringing that. Just curious if it's overkill since space is limited onboard and I don't wanna bring all my neoprene "just in case". I'd rather be warm then cold, but I don't wanna bake

not sure when you're going, but when i went there labor day last yr, i dove with shorts and a rashguard. others were diving shorties and 3 mil, i believe.

April 13th-15th.

Surface temps are in the upper 60's, but i don't know the thermoclines or how they change though out the water column.

I dove there in May several years ago, and wore either a 1.5 mm suit or shorts and a t-shirt and was perfectly comfortable. Of course, I used to swim in the ocean in New England all summer long in shorts when I was a kid, so your experience may differ.

I dove with a 3mm shorty and I was cold. Most people in Cozumel dive with a 3mm long wetsuit - in March that is. When the water gets warmer they might switch to a shorty.

The Flower Gardens aren't Cozumel.

Depending on your cold tolerance, your 6.5 semi will do you just fine. You won't bake in April in that. The surface temps should be a little over 70 by then. Bottom temps won't be too much below that.

Have fun.

TwoBit

Use the 6.5mm in April. You'll be lucky if you get out. April is a very windy month. Good luck on your trip making it out.

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom