First Explanation I have Seen About Why Hip/Waist Ratios Matter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I thought this was interesting and thought the BMI debate fans might be interested in this notion:
Whatever you call it -- muffin top, spare tire, love handles, or beer gut -- that extra padding pushes BP higher, even in young, normal-weight people who do not have high blood pressure.

The reason? When belly fat presses on your kidneys, the bean-shaped organs feel smothered and they panic. In response, they flood your bloodstream with hormones that raise your BP. Think of abdominal obesity as your early warning system for high BP. A thick middle and pants that feel too tight signal that this health risk may not be too far behind.

I keep hearing about omentum fat and the increased CV risk for higher hip waist ratios vs "overall" high BMI.

That reasoning isn't quite logical, although you could assume that a person with that kind of external fat could have a higher ratio of fat surrounding the internal organs which I have read is not a good thing. BMI is just a broad average that sort of works. For the insurance companies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom