Gloves for large thin hands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtbrider

Contributor
Reaction score
I dive dry and use wet gloves. Tried the dry gloves but they were a pain. In the past I have had some 5mm wet gloves with a strap on the wrist. These worked ok but were kind of a pain to put on as well. I then bought some Hyperstretch 5mm gloves and I liked they had no wrist strap, unfortunately they don't seal too well.

My problem seems to be that my hands are thin but large, so most gloves are baggy and don't seal well, even though the length is correct.

Has anyone seen gloves that fit thin hands better? Maybe someone can make me some custom gloves? How about modifying my gloves, maybe add some neoprene at the wrist to tighten it up?

mtbrider:
I dive dry and use wet gloves. Tried the dry gloves but they were a pain. In the past I have had some 5mm wet gloves with a strap on the wrist. These worked ok but were kind of a pain to put on as well. I then bought some Hyperstretch 5mm gloves and I liked they had no wrist strap, unfortunately they don't seal too well.

My problem seems to be that my hands are thin but large, so most gloves are baggy and don't seal well, even though the length is correct.

Has anyone seen gloves that fit thin hands better? Maybe someone can make me some custom gloves? How about modifying my gloves, maybe add some neoprene at the wrist to tighten it up?

I don't know about custom-made gloves, but if you're happy with the fit of your Hyperstretch gloves, the neoprene wrist bands should greatly improve the seal.

I had good luck with the following, before I switched to SI TECH drygloves, that is. :)

You can very easily make 2" wrist bands of 6mm neoprene.

Smooth, unbacked neoprene would be best. Butt-glued.

If the neoprene is backed with fabric, you could reinforce the joint with stitching.

I simply cut wrist bands from some old mitts and that worked, too.

Worn under my gauntlet-style mitts, with cinch-straps over the mitts to improve the seal, almost no water moved past the seal.

Plus, the extra neoprene over the arteries of the wrists really improved the warmth, I think.

It's also easy to make 1" Velcro cinch straps to slip over your Hyperstretch gloves. They don't need to be permanently attached to the gloves.

You might get by with only the neoprene wrist bands, if you don't want to use cinch-straps.

If you need more details or pics, let me know.

Dave C

Thanks for the reply Dave. I'm thinking something like a strap of neoprene over the wrist area on the glove and just glue that to the glove. That way I don't have to think about it and it will tighten up the wrist area. The disadvantage is that it's going to be harder to pull on. I'm lazy and I don't want to have to remember additional pieces. Thanks for the ideas!

mtbrider:
Thanks for the reply Dave. I'm thinking something like a strap of neoprene over the wrist area on the glove and just glue that to the glove. That way I don't have to think about it and it will tighten up the wrist area. The disadvantage is that it's going to be harder to pull on. I'm lazy and I don't want to have to remember additional pieces. Thanks for the ideas!

Sounds like your neoprene strap would work.

Here's my simple cinch strap that works. Easy to make.

Velcro cinch strap.jpg

Good luck!

Dave C

Back
Top Bottom