Memory Foam Insoles in Wetsuit Booties??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WI Scuba Dave

Contributor
Reaction score
West Bend, WI (about 30 miles north of Milwaukee)
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
I have a pair of Akona Titanium zippered booties that for the most part I like. They fit both my feet and fin pocket well. However, the seams on the inside along the soles tend to be slightly rough and if I have to walk a distance or stand around for long they get a little irritating. I was thinking about trying some of those memory foam insoles. Does anyone see any problems with that? Has anyone ever tried it? Would they make my feet too bouyant? Would they slip around and cause problems? I'm curious and thought I'd ask before trying it. I do like the idea of the arch support they may offer.

Thanks!
Dave

I used to have a problem of the seams on the top of the boot irritated and gouged my foot, particularly on trips where I would do 25 dives in 8 or 9 days.

Just wearing a pair of normal everyday socks fixed the problem.

I just have to keep working on putting the socks on before the wetsuit, so my argyle socks don't peek out from above the boots. :)

Charlie99:
I used to have a problem of the seams on the top of the boot irritated and gouged my foot, particularly on trips where I would do 25 dives in 8 or 9 days.

Just wearing a pair of normal everyday socks fixed the problem.

I just have to keep working on putting the socks on before the wetsuit, so my argyle socks don't peek out from above the boots. :)

I actually thought about doing that but was afraid it would mess with the insulation properties of the bootie and maybe make my feet cold. So you don't run into any problems with that huh? Because wearing socks with them does seem to fix the problem.

Memory foam is basically the same as regular polyurethane foam. This is open cell foam which allows air, or water, to move freely in and out of the foam.

My thought would be that they would not cause your feet to float once wet but you might be a bit water logged when you get out of the water.

They'll soak up water like a sponge. I think a sock of some sort might be a better option.

WI Scuba Dave:
I actually thought about doing that <normal everyday socks> but was afraid it would mess with the insulation properties of the bootie and maybe make my feet cold. So you don't run into any problems with that huh? Because wearing socks with them does seem to fix the problem.
Your feet are wet with or without the socks. I don't notice any difference in insulation, but I'm mostly diving water temps in high 70's.

Back
Top Bottom