what is under your dry suit!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aboalreem

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Would like to know what you guys wear under your dry suit...."undergarment"...

In cold water (less than 50) I wear a base layer of Smartwool under my CT200. I haven't yet dove my drysuit in water above 42, but I'd imagine I'd just wear some running shorts and probably the Smartwool top underneath my CT200 in water between 50-60 or so. Above 60 maybe just the Smartwool, but I'm just guessing here. I have much trial and error ahead of me this summer.

It all depends on the water temp. My main UG is the DUI 300 ge Gray Polartec. I'm a SoCal. I'm also aphotographer who dives dub 95's or a 130 - translation: I move very slowly and have long dives. I layer mine like this:

Temp < 50 degrees: (rare, but it happens): REI heavy weight long undies, Carols over those, then the DUI 300's. Dry gloves (always) with possum fur liners. Socks are DUI 300 gr Gray Polartec with Carols.

Temp 50 to 55 degrees: Carols and DUI 300's. Dry gloves (always) with possum fur liners. Socks are DUI 300 gr Gray Polartec with Carols.

Temp 55 to 65 degrees: DUI 300's. Dry gloves (always) with possum fur liners. Socks are DUI 300 gr Gray Polartec.

Temp > 65 degrees: Carols only. Carols socks. Med dry gloves, no liners.

Carols = www.CarolDavisSportswear.com Style #2. Funest underliner I've ever used.

---
Ken

I'll probably have 3-4 undergarments.

1. Pinnacle Evolution
2. DUI 400g / Viking 400g (whichever fits better)
3. Weezle Extreme
4. Some kinda fleece.

I have the Pinnacle now. Will probably buy the heavy stuff for diving the great lakes. I work for Weezle dealer, so I'll probably use that some for cave diving. Fleece stuff will probably be for warmer ocean diving.

I'll also have my Underarmour cold gear, and I have some expedtion weight polarmax for layering. I'll probably use a base layer of Nike Dri-Fit or Patagonia Capilene.

Layering is crucial, and gives the most flexibility in accomodating different temps.

aboalreem:
Would like to know what you guys wear under your dry suit...."undergarment"...

55F or higher, I have a lightweight fleece thinsulate liner. Primarily for summer wear.

40F to 55F, I have a set of Diving Concepts TPS Stretch Extreme

32F to 40F, I wear the Diving Concepts underwear but layer underneath it with a set of the thinner 4th Element Exotherm.

This seems to work fine for the temps I've outline, and good for at least an hour or more. Limiting factor is generally feet and hands, though.

Warren_L:
55F or higher, I have a lightweight fleece thinsulate liner. Primarily for summer wear.

40F to 55F, I have a set of Diving Concepts TPS Stretch Extreme

32F to 40F, I wear the Diving Concepts underwear but layer underneath it with a set of the thinner 4th Element Exotherm.

This seems to work fine for the temps I've outline, and good for at least an hour or more. Limiting factor is generally feet and hands, though.

More like:

55F or higher: Nice day for a dive

40F to 55F: (thinking to myself the whole time: Who's idea was this anyway... I gotta smack 'em. Are those my teeth or did I leave my phone on vibe in my DS pocket. I am the only warm blooded person in this damn lake... I mean, Warren doesn't count. So its me, Warren and all these cold blooded fishies... I'm gonna brain this guy with my frozen fist if I get outta this ice box...)

32F to 40F: I'll be in the Cafe with a hot choco and the WSJ. Enjoy the dive, Nanuk.

:D :D :D :D

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
32F to 40F: I'll be in the Cafe with a hot choco and the WSJ. Enjoy the dive, Nanuk.

Nothing like a deep ice cream headache to remind that your still alive ... or how easy we have it So Cal. Get over it, blue gloved wuss ! :wink:

BTW ... 300gm fleece and moisture wicking base layer is fine for our year around temperate climate.

Mo2vation:
More like:

55F or higher: Nice day for a dive

40F to 55F: (thinking to myself the whole time: Who's idea was this anyway... I gotta smack 'em. Are those my teeth or did I leave my phone on vibe in my DS pocket. I am the only warm blooded person in this damn lake... I mean, Warren doesn't count. So its me, Warren and all these cold blooded fishies... I'm gonna brain this guy with my frozen fist if I get outta this ice box...)

:D :D :D :D

---
Ken

Ken, ya gotta get up here for some wreck diving in the great white north. I'll plan it for the middle of August, but no guarantees that the temps still won't get into "ice box" territory. Surface temps will be in the "nice day for a dive" territory, but you can drop through a some thermoclines pretty quick. But hey, it's what we got..... :)

Oh, yeah, we can pick up a copy of the WSJ just in case. :wink:

32-50 Pinnacle Evo with Thick Wick, would like just a Merino Evo
50+ Pinnacle Fleece

Back
Top Bottom