Problem with mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peaker

New
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm off to the Maldives in eight weeks for the third time. I quite enjoy snorkelling around and chasing the fish :D However I always have a problem with my mask in that it fills with water frequently. I was wondering if this was because I usually have stubble and it breaks the seal?

Does anybody have a similair problem and as I hate being clean shaven is there any way round this or are there masks designed to negate this problem?

Thanks,

Peaker

You could use silicone grease (like for use on underwater housing o-rings) but I just use chapstick if I forget to shave my upper lip.

Hi Peaker,

There are a couple of things that are important.

- First and foremost is tht the mask fits you. You can check this with the "vacuum" seal test. Turn the strap around so it's on the front of the mask and then put the mask up to your face like you would if you were wearing it normally. Then suck the air out of the mask. Don't do this forcefully, just enough to make it stick to your face. Then hold your breath and let go of the mask. If you can count to 5 or more slowly before it falls off your face then your mask fits. If the mask doesn't fit then you'll never get it water tight.

- Second point is to not tighten it too much. It's natural to think that if it's leaking that it's too loose. In fact the water pressure alone will hold the mask on your face for the most part. The strap should just give you light tension, not forcefully pulling the mask onto your face. If it's *too* tight then you can pull the seal out of shape and it will leak, even if it passes the vacuum test.

- The third bit about the facial hair is something I can really relate to. I also let my beard grow and it does make any mask leak. the good news is that you *can* find masks that will be better than others. I've found two over the years that work for me One is a Tusa Look and the other is a no-name mask with the internal volume of a small submarine. What works for you won't be what works for me but keep looking and don't look at the price. A mask that fits ... fits. If it costs $20 or $100.

The one thing you can do to get a slightly leaky mask to seal with a moustache is to put a layer of Vaseline on your lip. It's messy but it works.

Good luck.

R..

Hey Peaker,
welcome to the board! It would be tricky to tell you how to correct the problem unless you know why the water is coming in and where, precisely, it is seeping through. Diver0001 (as usual) had some good suggestions. I also have facial hair and have had great success with my mask seal because 1) I have ensured that it fits well (see ro's post) and 2) I shave my mustache down a bit beneath the nose and if necessary put a little silicone grease where the mask skirt will make contact beneath my nose.
Maldives for the third time? My gosh, aren't you getting bored with that location? :D

Back
Top Bottom