Votes: 3 27.3%
  • I some times agree with what they do

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • I disagree with there mandate and objectives

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

algorithm

Reaction score
Do you like and agree with the mandate of SOS?. Does it bother you that such an organisation exist and at times prevents you from Diving on specific wrecks?. Are you pleased with there projects for preserving and mouring wrecks. Do you think they put there nose in were it doesn't belong?:confused:

I tend to agree with a lot of what they do, in making sure that wrecks are marked, and monitored for damage/theft. I don't think It's really SOS that is stopping people from diving on certain wrecks, that blame can be laid squarely on our government :wink:

As in all things, the older you get, the more the expression "of two minds" becomes valid.

I am a member of SOS by virtue of the fact that I wanted to take the Nautical Archeological Society's Level 1 course which is offerred through this organization and membership comes with the fee.

Initially, I was unaware that some LDS's & charter operators have a strong dislike for the organization in Ontario since it - or I believe more accurately, one of its chapters -was instrumental in trying to introduce Ontario legislation limiting access to wreck sites, and thus directly impacting their businesses viability (others I'm sure can give more details on this issue than I).

The Ottawa and Toronto SOS chapter members that I have met have demonstrated the best intentions. They are earnest in their desire to preserve these sites. There is evidence to support the assertion that a small minority of divers have contributed to serious damage and destruction of some wreck sites over time. To a varying degree, divers are seen as either partners or threats to wreck preservation and study.

The course material was fascinating to an old history buff and wreck diving fanatic like myself. It made me a better diver and more appreciative of Low Impact Diving around wreck sites and the value of maintaining sites in their original condition for historic accuracy and enjoyment of all.

Knowledge is power and I believe a strong dialogue and educational sessions like NAS can make more partners and less adversaries in this matter. Whenever self governance is threaten much emotion and debate ensues. I would hope that calmer heads prevail and Lassez Faire rules. The less Government mucks around in my life, the better I like it. People fix things, not institutions. Let's talk people!

The work of SOS and similar organizations (POW) is highly commendable. The goal of wreck conservation/preservation is not their only focus. The nautical archaeology programs they carry out (surveys, research, etc.) serves the greater diving public and their education work helps to keep the wrecks we dive on in better shape so that more divers can enjoy what we've seen. Examples such as The Sligo, in Toronto Harbour are good reasons for us to be supportive of their efforts.

Provincial government resources to support nautical archaeological research and wreck conservation have never been plentiful and thus controls are in place that, unfortunately, limit the public's access to wreck sites.

algorithm once bubbled...
Do you like and agree with the mandate of SOS?. Does it bother you that such an organisation exist and at times prevents you from Diving on specific wrecks?. Are you pleased with there projects for preserving and mouring wrecks. Do you think they put there nose in were it doesn't belong?:confused:

I am not aware of any part of the SOS organization that prevents a diver from diving on a wreck. My chapter (Ottawa) and chapter for the Thousand Islands both place bouys on various wrecks for all to use.

Some bouys that are placed on some wrecks along the St Lawrence and in Lake Ontario have been placed by private individuals -- they have and will refuse anyone else to tie up on their bouys. These bouys are generally marked as "private" and should be treated as such.

The SOS bouys are are clearly marked as such, with no mooring restrictions on them.

Lets not forget about POW (Preserve Our Wrecks--Kingston) and the Upper St Lawrence Charter Association, Ducks Diving, Depth Charge Diving who put in mooring lines as well. A big thank you to all of them!

Recently we have started a Hamilton Chapter of SOS... I agree with their mandate... and think their projects are great re: mooring buoys.

The education programs, brochures and offering NAS Level courses help to educate divers... with the goal being PEER Pressure to hopefully prevent people from taking items off wrecks!!

I do not believe legislation is the answer to stopping this,... the best thing is peer pressure. Charter boat operators and fellow divers should instruct and teach uniformed divers about the need to preserve the wrecks,... so that we can all enjoy them for the long term.

Someone in a NAS course I attended put things into perspective, by saying something like this... 15+ years ago it was common to take things off wrecks, in fact they would openly brag about items taken off wrecks... which is likely how most museums got their stuff. I believe that things have changed now,... the public is well aware that the wrecks should be left intact. I think someone would be shunned now for removing artificats.

I think the work of SOS, POW,... and charter operators such as ducks have helped change this perspective. sure beats legislation!!

Just my opinion of what i've seen happen on dive charters over the summer.

I agree with you Dundas but now, all we have to do is get museums around the world to stop removing artifacts for public display.

DivingGal once bubbled...

Some bouys that are placed on some wrecks along the St Lawrence and in Lake Ontario have been placed by private individuals -- they have and will refuse anyone else to tie up on their bouys. These bouys are generally marked as "private" and should be treated as such.

How are private individuals allowed to put mooring bouys on "public" wrecks ?....Or are the bouys/markers put "beside" it ?

Back
Top Bottom