Maui Snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Homer901

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
We fly out to maui this saturday to spend a week there. I plan on spending a week in the water. I just got the olypus 770sw that I can take with me down to 33 feet but i doubt i'll go down that far. Any tips or anything to watch out for?

You will see a variety of lots of fish, tons different kinds of Butterfly fish and maybe turtles. Go to the Crater if you can. Have fun!

Snorkel at Blackrock for sure. We've always found turtles, lots of eels, and many, many reef fish. Once we even spent time with 2 spotted Eagle Rays there.

You can pick up a dive/snorkel guide at any Maui Dive Shop. They are free for the taking and give good information about where to go, the amenities, etc.

For an afternoon snorkel try the spot at MM14 in the Olawalu area. It is relatively shallow and protected by the large reef so it is good pretty much most of the day when other areas are rough. The reef is shallow but lots of life there and pretty corals. Last I was there we even saw a couple free swimming eels.
This site is pretty much right at mile marker 14 between Maalea and Lahaina.
Be careful not to get stuck in the really shallow spots of the reef.
There are NO facilities at this location so bring what you need.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the replies. Going snorkeling somewhere tomarrow- our first full day. Looking forward to spending most of my time with my head underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom