wet suit for northeast diving (for a skinny body, normal height)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Homunculus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hey all,
after reading a lot about various brands of wetsuits i'm still not sure which one is the best for cold water diving. I'm diving around Boston from May/June till October. The water temperature ranges but can get low 40s deep down. So far I've been renting 2 piece 7 mm suite (farmer john or whatever it's called) but i never got a great fit, so on occasions i get cold. So, i'm looking to buy a full suit (1 piece) with a zipper on the back. I was told that 5 mm full suit together with a 7 mm hooded vest should do the job. 5 mm on arms and legs should add flexibility and since these are moving parts cold should not be much of an issue; 12 mm on the torso is sufficient. Any thoughts?
Another thing is my physique - i'm 5'8" (1m 75cm) tall and 144 lbs (60 kg) light. Quite a few suits that i tried are either ok on the torso but too tight around my neck or ok around the neck but baggy around knee joins and belly.
Does any one with similar physique has had any luck finding suits that fit perfectly? I'd rather not get a custom made due to high price, unless it's the only option. I'm wondering if European brands make better suits for skinny poeple (swedish poseidon or austrian camaro).
any feedback would be appreciated.

sounds like with your body type getting a properly fitting wet suit can be a problem..Custom is one option there,but I would suggest going to a dry suit now..I am 5'11 weight 170 so I can get a wet suit to fit properly off the rack but would not think of going in the water without a drysuit in water temp of 55 degree..You can get a DUI cnse for a good price new and its durability is very close to a cf200.and less than half the price..get with neoprene seals as they are warmer than latex.

Check out the Pinnacle Aquatics Artic suit. 7mil with merino wool lining, you can always add a hooded verst if you need it. I was going to purchase one but ended up with a custom drysuit instead. They have very good sizing on their suits, so you should be able to find one that works.

With the problems you've been having, it would be a good idea to go to a shop and try some different ones on and then make the decision.

Mikhail Frenkel:
So far I've been renting 2 piece 7 mm suite (farmer john or whatever it's called) but i never got a great fit, so on occasions i get cold. So, i'm looking to buy a full suit (1 piece) with a zipper on the back. I was told that 5 mm full suit together with a 7 mm hooded vest should do the job. 5 mm on arms and legs should add flexibility and since these are moving parts cold should not be much of an issue; 12 mm on the torso is sufficient. Any thoughts?

We're in the same boat--I'm taller, but narrow. Wetsuits are usually either too short for me or bag under my arms and bottom. You should be thinking 7mm, though. I don't think 5mm is enough insulation for New England, especially if you've been feeling cold with a farmer john. And with hooded vests usually only the hood is 7mm--the torso will be 3mm.

For the past three years I've been wearing a 7/6mm Bare Velocity with a hooded vest, and the combination has worked well. Bare has a lot more rack sizes than most wetsuit makers and seems better able to accomodate skinny bodies. However, I must admit, I'm just waiting for the arrival of my new drysuit.

there are a few reasons why i don't consider buying a drysuit:
(1) overall, i'm ok with local water temperature. growing up in Russia gets your body used to pretty cold weather and water, in particualar. however, i know that i can be more comfortable by getting a better wetsuit fit.
(2) i'm a beginner (~12 dives under my belt), so i'd rather perfect my skills before learning more complicated equipment and taking a class.
(3) the price. i prefer to buy new items and drysuit is by far more expensive than wetsuit.
but for the future, i'd definitely consider the drysuit. I hope i'll be diving more then Jun - Oct.

I'm not you're body type (5'8"/190lbs), so I have a little trouble finding a good fit. I usually have to get an XL or Large Short. In the Boston area, (Cape Anne) you should be wearing a 7mm suit. If you are going one piece, it should have an integrated hood. You will never be diving here witout one, so might as well get it integrated. It will offer greatly reduced water flow. You should also have 7mm boots and 7mm gloves too. I got certified last july and dove until late october with a henderson gold core (7/5mm) 5mm boots and gloves and was not cold. Water temps were from 58-68 degrees. I upgraded to gold core 7mm boots and gloves. I would look at the gold core as well as the pinnacle polar with integrated hood 7/5) as well. The merino lining looks interesting. I'm also going to purchase a pinnacle 3mm vest without a hood for extra insulation when I start up again in a few weeks. PG dive sells Pinnacle, and Undersea Divers in Beverly sells henderson. I would also post this on the new england lobstah divahs board as well.

If you tend to feel the cold and can find one locally to try on, you might comsider an Xcel 976 Polar Tridensity - it is amazingly warm for a wet suit.

Jackie

Diving dry is not particularly difficult, simply different. Before ruling out a drysuit as your first cold water suit purchase plan on hitting DUIs DOG days rally at stage fort park in gloucester may 5,6. There will be instructors volunteering there to give orientations to divers not yet familiar with drysuit techniques, and you can get a chance to see how much more comfortable a drysuit is.

Mikhial,
I am literally exactly the same size as you, and my henderson hyperstretch 7mm full suit size sm fits me perfectly. I'm new to diving, so I can't say with certainty, but it seems like everyone who dives wet in the boston area dives in a 7mm.

Thank you all for responding to my question.
i went to a LDS on Sat and found a perfect fit. I got Pinnacle Arctic 7/5 mm full suit and hooded vest 7/3 mm. the price was excellent, so i'm even more happy that i could support the store (i buy equipment on-line mostly).
once again, thank you all for your feedback.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom