Anyone have experience with the Bare Next Gen dry suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsafanda

Contributor
Reaction score
I took a drysuit class a few months ago and have rented a drysuit from Wallins the last couple of times I've been diving in Monterey. I'm not sure I dive enough to justify the cost of a high end dry suit but I'm also having a very difficult time getting psyched about returning to diving with my 7mm wetsuit. What to do?

I could buy the Bare Nex Gen dry suit and with undergarments from LeisurePro for $819. That seems like a great deal.
http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/product_details.aspx?pid=010102&dept_id=48

Would I be disappointed?

I like the idea of a laminate construction and I don't care that it's back entry.

I'm sure this suit has been discussed in other places on this forum but I'd be very curious to hear from someone who uses it in Monterey or the North Coast.

Anybody? Beuler?

I use the Bare Next Gen up in Vancouver and area. It is a great suit, and for the price... it is hard to beat.

Bill.

There are people at work who have the NexGen and like it. Like you, the price was a big factor for them.

I had one for a while...

Pro: Affordable, It did it's job... keep me dry and got me diving more often

Con: It was stiff and pretty rigid. Now that I'm in a TLS 350 it's like going from wearing thick denim coveralls to wearing pajamas...

So as far as the suit goes... if you are on a budget go for it... you can always upgrade later...

The 819 price sounds high though... I thought it was more like 600 ish??

Boots<--- I used XL wet booties (Sun something brand) easier to get on and fin in with Turtles)

Undergarments... The bare undergarments were very restrictive to me... no stretch whatsoever...I would go get the Polartech fleece ones off of ebay... I do believe they are cheaper also

I have used a BARE in Alaska and Lake Superior and found it had great utility. Not as good as the more expensive suits but it does the job. quite well I just had the seals replaced by BARE as routine maintenance item after four years of use. The undergarments supplied with the suit are too thin for Alaska diving, so I did end up buying a thicker undergarment (39 degree water in the winter). I could have purchased a different suit but chose to stay with my BARE. I did have suspenders put in as an enhancement. And yes, I would buy another NEXGEN if I had to replace the one I have.

Based on a lot of positive reviews I was ready to buy the Bare Next Gen. However, I ended up purchasing a Mobby's Armor Shell that I found on sale at Wallins. This is the same model I've rented a few times. I like the fit and light weight. The Bare Next Gen still looks like a good option for the money. Perhaps I'll end up buying one for the wife.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom