*&$%# smurf gloves with built-in liners should be OUTLAWED!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LG Diver

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So, somehow I managed to get some water in one of my smurf gloves with the built-in liners a couple of weeks ago. I got home and rinsed them out with fresh water and set them out to dry. I put them over a piece of pipe so they'd get some air inside, and I left them there and forgot about them for a couple of weeks. Well, I go out to the garage this evening to pack them up and I stick my hand inside to confirm that they're all dry and they're still soaked! Not only are they still soaked, but they smell like death. What's worse, my hand now smells like death, too. I take them into the kitchen, pull the liners loose, cut them out with a pair of scissors, and throw them in the trash can. All's good, I think- I'll just go buy a pair of separate liners.

I get home several hours later, and the liners in the kitchen trash have now stunk up the whole house. I mean STUNK UP. The dog is giving me the stinkeye like I did this on purpose. Why on earth would permanently attached liners in gloves that will invariably get wet at some point seem like a good idea?

Rhetorical question? I have no idea:D . Good day sir.

Everyone I know cuts those things out.

Oh, and a hotel hair dryer does work. :D

I don't use the gloves with the built-in liners, but the Atlas gloves I use have a fabric mesh bonded to the rubber inside, and I'll tell you it's equally capable of unimaginable stench if wet and allowed to sit.

For Christmas, a friend gave me an electric glove/boot dryer made for skiers. It works superbly to dry things like flooded dry gloves quickly enough to avoid the stink.

I just installed the rings for my smurf gloves, will have to be careful, don't want a stench

I buy the kind with the removeable liners. I also have two pairs of the blue gloves. If one pair gets wet it's easy to put in the other pair. I also have about 10 pairs of the yellow liners to use. They're cheap so I use a fresh, dry pair before every dive.

I don't own any of these gloves(I get my rings and gloves next week). I think I'll get the kind with removable liners.

Could you turn them Inside out and let them dry?

My mountain bike shoes I used to pack with newspaper, they where dry the next day.

TSandM:
I don't use the gloves with the built-in liners, but the Atlas gloves I use have a fabric mesh bonded to the rubber inside, and I'll tell you it's equally capable of unimaginable stench if wet and allowed to sit.

For Christmas, a friend gave me an electric glove/boot dryer made for skiers. It works superbly to dry things like flooded dry gloves quickly enough to avoid the stink.

Those dryers are amazing. I got one from Bass Pro for 15 bucks. I can put 7mm wet boots on and within 6 hours they are completly dry. I'm trying to find a larger version to use as a suit dryer.

TSandM:

Those are them. That fabric mesh is what I'm talking about. There are two flavors of the Atlas gloves- one with the fabric liner attached (atlas 490), and one with a separate liner (Atlas 495). Diving Concepts installs the 490's from the factory. Thankfully, if you pull that liner it will come unglued and you can cut it out and use a separate glove liner. My next gloves will be the 495's.

I was already planning to build myself one of the deluxe "Dalton" dryers, but this little episode has motivated me to get it done this weekend. :wink:

http://atlanticunderwater.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=66

Back
Top Bottom