One-arm Dry suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwhities

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Good afternoon Ladies and Gents,

I'm in here to ask a few question about dry suits. As you can see from the title, it's a question about a dry suit and the wearer of said suit only has one-arm. Of course, that's me, the one-armed guy.

I've watched several video's on the 'net (mostly youtube.com (search "scuba dir")). In a few of the videos I notice a few of the people using a dry suit and the rest are in what looks like a wet suit. I see one of the guys adjusting the (release?) valve on the dry suit to help maintain buoyancy and also adjusting the wing.

So, my first question, does anyone here only have one-arm or know of a fellow diver that only has one-arm and dives in a dry suit? Now before everyone looks at my profile and then bombards me with "You don't need a dry suit, you are still a noobie.." etc, etc etc.... I just like to get some knowledge of how I might be able to use one safely.

I'll say that right now, I don't see myself in a dry suit for at least a couple of years. Right now, I'm to broke, have a child on the way, and did I mention to broke? Well, plus the lack of diving and experience. From the many books I've read, "The Last Dive" and several others, it's made me aware of the dangers that can happen diving. Plus, all the reading I do online and here on SB gives me knowledge of things that may happen once I get to that level. Not saying I'll be ready for them now since I read about it, but it may help me to look ahead and it might help me over come some issue.

Back to the question. (Can't believe I've typed this much.) I'd like someone who is experienced with a dry suit that only has one-arm to maybe give me pointers on how difficult or easy it was to utilize the wing and dry suit to keep from corking to the top. I guess anyone that might have dove with a hurt arm and couldn't use it, but was still able to manage diving with the dry suit would work. Is there anyone? I know I will need to read up on how dry suits work and maybe later on try a few on to actually get a hands on with them.

Also, I'd like the person to have or still dives with a BP/W. I've ordered one and will be getting next week sometime. (Or the next, depending on the date I get it paid off.)

Now that I have typed all of this, I've forgotten my other question. (I hate not being able to type fast enough...) Eh, I just read back over this post and I still can't remember the other. I'm sure as soon as I post it, I will. :)

So, be nice to me, I'm just wanting knowledge. :)

Michael

DUI can certainly do a custom drysuit for you, in my understand they even did a drysuit custom to the extent of creating a custom drysuit for a respirator using person.

I think you can do it, but you'll have to figure out where to put the exhaust so that you can reach it and it is in a position to dump and it won't interefere with the zipper/BC straps. I think it's certainly doable, but just might take some thinking outside the box. Good luck.

DUI has modified a drysuit for Matt Johnston. At Diveheart, we often use two armed wetsuits for amputees and fold the excess material back and weight it to be neutral.

I had a custom DUI made for a customer who has had his left hand amputated, he has no problem diving with it. I see no reason why a suit couldn't be made with just one arm. The exhaust valve would most likely be mounted right at the shoulder of the missing arm.

As has already been stated ... not a problem. We (OS Systems) have done several over the years for divers missing various appendages. I am sure that if your store sells a drysuit that is actually made in the US instead of a generic import, then custom will be no problem for them.

Now, as far as being broke ... can't help too much there. But if you PM me with your size (height, weight, waist, chest, which arm is missing and how much), I can see if there is anything in our closeout list that might work for you at a considerable discount. May not be a color that you like or might have markings or repairs, but, cheap is cheap!!

Sounds like a cuff dump would be a good choice.... no turning of the valve, just raise your hand up and it'll vent...

Ben_ca:
Sounds like a cuff dump would be a good choice.... no turning of the valve, just raise your hand up and it'll vent...
That might be an option, but you would have to work out the logistics of what happens in a runaway ascent- would you be able to dump both the BC and the suit at the same time? I think it would depend on where the dumps were located.

Also, I would recommend something like a DSS hose hat or a CEJN fitting for the drysuit nipple. Both of these options are easier to remove with one hand, although I would guess you would get pretty good with a little practice. :D

Actually with just the left arm you can do the cuff dump and the BC (coro hose) at the same time...

You would not be able to turn valves, (valve shut down ect) at the same time... but it is possibe with practice I guess to single handidly disconnect the inflator... specially wiht the DSS hat.

Thank you all again for your suggestions.

I'm missing my left arm, so I don't know if that will help or hinder anything. I'm pretty good at adapating to different situations, so I know with a little practice and possibly reconfigs, I could get a system that works.

Thanks again,

Michael

Back
Top Bottom