Treasure Ship Found Off Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark V

Reaction score
Just in, a new treasure ship find off the coast of Nova Scotia was released to the press today. You can read about it just follow the link

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet...onal/nationalTheNationHeadline_temp/25/25/38/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Treasure claim made in waters off Nova Scotia

Canadian Press
__ __

------------------------------------------------------------------------
__Advertisement

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Friday, November 29, 2002 –_Page_A13

SYDNEY, N.S. -- A Cape Breton treasure hunter has discovered what he believes to be two 17th-century Spanish treasure ships off the island's east coast, according to his lawyer.

If correct, the find would be the only Spanish treasure galleons to be located within Canada's territorial sea.

Joseph Rizzetto said positive identification of the discovery by Robert MacKinnon and his consortium is still at the preliminary stages.

But "several bronze and cast-iron cannons on both sites have been located, some still with very legible markings, leading the dive team to believe that this unique discovery may well, after excavation, rival that of any similar treasure site found in North America," the lawyer said in a news release.

Early indications show the sites to be rich in both treasure- and non-treasure-trove artifacts, said the release. Mr. Rizzetto said in an interview that treasure-trove artifacts refers to things such as coins and other marketable items.

Mr. MacKinnon directed questions about the discovery to his lawyer beyond saying he has a long history of hunting for sunken ships. "It's a major thing, but it's not something I haven't done before."

"It's fascinating stuff," Mr. Rizzetto said. He said the Cape Breton treasure hunter and consortium of Canadian, American, French and Spanish interests is "fairly certain" they have found Spanish galleons.

Mr. Rizzetto speculated the discovery of a Spanish treasure ship could be worth hundreds of millions of dollars. "I don't think they sailed without gold."

The claim has been registered with the provincial government, said the lawyer.

There's one *rumoured* to have been found in Southern California very recently that's being kept ultra hush-hush until salvage rights are established by it's finder, or some other legal thing is sorted out... usual talk of millions in gold, etc. Supposedly within recreational depths not too far from popular recreational spots - which is hardly specific :) Not sure if it was the result of a search, or just stumbled across.

Yet another reason to have a thru-hull transducer that picks up bottom well when your boat is on plane. I am constantly looking at the bottom when running out to the diving grounds (although more for productive spearfishing structure, as opposed to a lost treasure). But, hey, you never know.

http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/

Jeff Heim spent the summer and fall on this site. He is not officially telling his story yet but he was a member of this excavation. From what I hear it was for REAL. I doubt he will give any information over the telephone so drop by and see him.

Dove for some tangled lobster gear in 95. 170 depth. Ten miles out, Cape Cod bay...Big wooden ships ribs, crates on the bottom, then got 'Narked'. Still my favorite, but mix next time.::confused: :bonk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom