Local Drysuit Tailoring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

np251

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi there

i have a quick question- is there anywhere local to the Monterey/ Peninsula area where i can have a trilaminate drysuit tailored? Ive lost a bit of 'natural bouyancy' since i bought my suit (an oceanic black trilam, surplus UK navy stock). To be honest, it didnt fit perfectly to begin with, but it was a pretty good price. Now with the lost weight, i need to get it taken in.

Or would it be better to sell it and go for a new suit (im thinking of going for a whites pro-dry crushed neoprene). I know i really should go for a made to measure, but i really cant afford that kinda money.

I had a couple of 'dives' at breakwater yesterday, but had real trouble decending. I recently bought one of the 4 layer ebay undersuits and its completely killed my weighting. I was running at 28lbs... yesterday, after 2 return trips to the shop to pick up more weight, i stopped at 40lbs and still couldnt get down. The BC was completely empty, my fins were crossed and tucked and my suit was as empty as i could get it. I could barely get my chin under the surface with 40lbs. I was using an Al 80. One of the guys in the shop said he had a big jump in weight when he switched undersuots, but said an extra 12lbs sounded excessive.

Any info/guidance appreciated!!

How does your new undersuit fit? If it is baggy, it may hold more air as it wads up, providing buoyancy without really keeping you warmer. My GF got one of those ebay undersuits, then had it tailored locally to fit better. Tailoring the undersuit cost her about $15-$20.

12 pounds seems like a lot, but I wouldn't be surprised at 6 or more.

HI

Thanks for the response. I do feel the undersuit is a little big, and would probably benefit from having that tailored- good suggestion, i never thought of that. And the combined price would still be well below the weezle i was going to get.

Cheers

I've had good service from James at Dry Suit Specialty Services... He's out of Hayward.... I had him do my seals and inflater valve..

Another option is Crickett at Otter Bay

She's in Monterey. I haven't used their services as far as Drysuit repair but I do have one of their hoods... and could not be happier

just my .02 cents

Hi, I am having trouble finding a phone number for Drysuit Speciality Services in Hayward. Would you happen to have it? Thanks! Barbara

FWIW, I'd send it off to Superior in (Michigan?). My wife had a panel added to her TLS350 and it was very well-done and in-expensive.

I've had James (Drysuit Specialty Services) do a couple crotch pads (3) and pockets (5) for me. All the pockets appear to be ok, but the crotch-pads were sewn and sealed very poorly and chronically leak at the seam.

I have had the same issue with my DUI thermals. I was carrying 40lbs too. Thats a little dangerous when going deep. When the air compresses it makes for a near runaway decent.

I switched to simple REI brand ski undergarments and the weight required dropped significantly as well as saving a bundle on the wallet. Now I carry btwn 21-25lbs on the drysuit depending on my other gear.

As for the Drysuit repair in Hayward you can call Captain Aqua's directly and get in touch with James... His shop is out of the dive store.... I had him replace my seals, install a P-Valve and a new zipper....

As for having a Drysuit tailored... I have asked several people because I have experienced the same thing with some weight loss and was told that a drysuit cannot be taken in or out because it will compromise the u/v welding with the seams and it was virtually impossible...

I do not know about this... but I am saving my pennies to get a new suit..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom