Leaking neoprene neck seal on Bare CD4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt S.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My last few dives I have gotten a damp torso from a slow leak at my neoprene neck seal. The leak does not seem to be from any kind of hole or bad seam--there is an even damp area around the inside front edge of the seal. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong: I roll the seal in so the smooth side is against my skin and make sure it isn't interacting with my thermals.

Do these seals just poop out eventually? I did buy the suit used, and dove it a few times with no leaky neck problems.

BTW the smooth side of the neoprene does have some wrinkles in it, but as I recall it has always been like that.

Hi Matt S.,

The seals do stretch too much after awhile, but there are a few possibilities.

If you roll the seal down too far, it creates a bigger opening. Try rolling it in less.

If you kneel down and look up, the suit could pull vertically, and pull the neck down a little, which would let water in. Bunch some material in your torso area when you don your BC and or weights.

If you have a muscular neck, the neoprene may not conform to the areas where spaces might be created between muscles or veins. Latex would be the answer.

The inexpensive fix might be to try an Apollo neck seal. http://www.divesports.com/mall/apollo_acc_biosealneck.asp

Those are a couple of ideas. Other people may have additional insight.

Back
Top Bottom