Coming to Monterrey, Need cheap lodging!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Will be in Monterrey for my son's graduation from the presidio in july. Arriving july 26(Thursday) leaving on the 30th(Monday). Planning on diving on saturday. Looking for cheap clean motel/hotel. Have looked at a hostel but never stayed at one.(privacy with my gear coming with me?) are they secure. Thoughts? Does not need to be right in town. Flying into San Francisco and renting a car so transportation is not an issue. Bringing my own gear. Will just need tanks and weights and dive buddies. Should have heliotrox cert by then if schedule for dives here works out. PADI DM, experience in cold, deep, drift, low vis, fresh, salt. Prefer something in the 50 bucks a night range up to 75. I'm not gonna pay 100 a night for someplace that's just for me to sleep. All replies appreciated. Jim

Jim,

We stayed at the Lone Oak Lodge. It's within your price range for Thursday and Friday nights, but Saturday is more. It's basic, but well arranged for divers, and very convenient in location.

Jim,
Have your kid check into billeting on base... there should be plenty of time to make reservations... the rooms should be affordable... It might be a pain getting the passes for the rental car and your visotor pass but then again it'll make up for it in the savings...

Option 2 Try the Travel lodge on Freemont... ask for the diver rate... I think it's about 79 on weekends... (normally much higher)...

Good luck maybe we'll see you out here

Edit: Presidio of Monterey Billeting info

I second Ben's suggestion. I had my parents stay in billeting on the Presidio back when I graduated and it worked out well (of course that was more than 10 years ago). The only downside to this is coming on and off post through the inspection points.

There's a motel 6 out in Marina that's about the cheapest stay in the area--about a 6 mile drive from Monterey.

There is a hostel in town cleverly titled "Monterey Hostel" I haven't stayed there but I plan to when I come out this summer. Their site says they charge about $25 per person.

Anyone ever stay there?

TSandM:
Jim,

We stayed at the Lone Oak Lodge. It's within your price range for Thursday and Friday nights, but Saturday is more. It's basic, but well arranged for divers, and very convenient in location.

I've stayed at the Lone Oak before, and I agree that it's set up nicely for divers. Not the most modern rooms, but clean.

yangnome:
There's a motel 6 out in Marina that's about the cheapest stay in the area--about a 6 mile drive from Monterey.

This is where I always stay.

FishDiver:
There is a hostel in town cleverly titled "Monterey Hostel" I haven't stayed there but I plan to when I come out this summer. Their site says they charge about $25 per person.

Anyone ever stay there?

I have stayed there several time a few years back. It is good if you like sharing a room with other people you don't know. Quiet time is after 10pm until 8AM the next morning. I heard they have free wireless connection too!!!

They give you 2 tokens for a total of 6 minutes shower.

If you are on a tight budget, it is good

FitDiver

Casa Muras is a great place to stay, and usually not too bad ($83 about 2 years ago), although it has been more in recent years. There are also some cheaper hotels up near the mall on Munras Ave. that are still close, and not too expensive ($50-$70 range).

Congrats to your son, I graduated from there as well. San Angelo sucks.

Back
Top Bottom