Dive Report - Pt Lobos - 31 Mar 07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben_ca

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Dive Report 31 Mar 07

Drove down early and snagged breakfast and hung around the Breakwater for a little while. Found the wall full by 0730... I guess it's warmed up enough for the classes. Chatted with Chuck and Glenn for a little bit and admired the huge aluminum dive boat someone hauled out...
P3310001_Medium_.JPG

0730 and the wall was already full

P3310002_Medium_.JPG

The vis looked great... I could see divers swimming in

P3310008_Medium_.JPG

The classes were there in force...

P3310011_Medium_.JPG

This neat boat was loading up with divers...

Pt Lobos

Dive 1 Granite Pt Wall: Rob Lee and I buddied up and decided on Granite Pt wall.

P3310031_Medium_.JPG

Neither of us have every been there and we felt like exploring so off it was... made it out to the far side of the cove and then dropped to 60 fsw and followed the wall to the North... ducking in and out of canyons... Amazing vis with Hydro coral and sheer walls. The vis was about 40... vertically I could see the waves above... I could also see about 40 below to the sand... at 30 mins we turned and kicked back toward our start point... on our return we thumbed it at 50 mins... taking 10 mins to hit the surface... We were fooled by the "Sand Channel" on the other side thinking we were closer to the parking lot than we were... but what the heck it was a nice day out and the kick back thru the not so think kelp wasn't so bad.
P3314015_b.sized.jpg

Amazing color

P3314005_b.sized.jpg

The amount of life was stunning

Dive 2 was skills at 20 ft inside Whalers... S-drills facing each other... sdrills while swimming side by side... Valve drills... bag shoots... Valve drills at 20 then at 10 then S drill and OOA ascent from 10 to surface... :)

Toward the end of the day I took my time rinsing things before hitting the road.. the fog rolled in and it started to get chilly
P3310028_Medium_.JPG

P3310033_Medium_.JPG

It was a good day to go diving...

More pictures here on the BAUE website:

Granite Pt. Pinnacles, 3/31/2007 Photos by Robert Lee

It was an awesome day of diving, and quite an excellent site. We'll definitely have to go back there.... and we'll try not to get lost on the way back next time :huh:

Ben, do I understand you did this all KICKING? Wow. Hope you hit the ibuprofen when you got home :D

We used the scooter to get to the other side of the cove... we could have kicked there then started but we had more gas than time :)
Summer time it would have been a pain to cross middle reef because of the kelp
P3313991_b.sized.jpg

hehe, yeah the scooter is a time-saver :p

I would love to do that site again on scooters. We just have to convince Kevin to go to Coz again and leave his X behind :p

On another note, that big aluminum boat looks shiny and nice on the trailer, but I saw it in the water a couple weeks ago, and the thing is a fricken snowplow in the water. I guess it's just too heavy to get up on a plane.

Family tragedy (one that was completely avoidable) got in the way. Anyways, I should be back in California by this week...I guess we'll try again...

midwestdvr:
cool report, ben. who took the photos?

Gio,
Rob Lee (rhlee) did the UW I snapped a few topside...

Hey Rob, What are you using?

great photos. I need to make it out to Lobos again soon before the kelp gets thick.

Ben_ca:
Gio,
Rob Lee (rhlee) did the UW I snapped a few topside...

Hey Rob, What are you using?

Just a toy camera. Olympus C5000 (5MP point and shoot) in an Olympus housing. I have a decent strobe though (Inon Z240).

One of these days, I'd like to upgrade to a real camera.... but I'd also like a scooter and a RIB and ... :shakehead

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom