Halifax in July; need recommendations please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ann Marie

be happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi! I'm going to be in Halifax in July for a week (7/8-7/15). Can anyone recommend a dive shop and some dive sites that are 'not to be missed'? What type of exposure protection is used there? I'll be bringing my own gear.

Thanks!

Ann Marie

Hi Ann Marie:

I'm going to be there the beginning of May. Drysuit.

Try torpedorays.com in Dartmouth (across the harbour from Halifax), locally recommended and my interaction with them so far has been great. They've got a dive club, too.

Cheers,

shoredivr

I'll second the recommendation for Torpedo Rays. They fill nitrox and trimix if you need it, and run regular charters... a good bunch.

You can dive here in the summer with a full 7mm wetsuit, but you would be more comfortable in a drysuit I think, especially if you plan multiple dives per day. You'll be looking at bottom temps in the low to mid 40's if you're diving wrecks; perhaps 50 degrees for some of the shallower shore sites.

There are plenty of great dive sites here for you, shore, boat, wreck, whatever your fancy. The shop will be more than capable of making recommendations for you. Any specific questions fire away and I'll see what I can come up with.

Ann Marie:
Hi! I'm going to be in Halifax in July for a week (7/8-7/15). Can anyone recommend a dive shop and some dive sites that are 'not to be missed'? What type of exposure protection is used there? I'll be bringing my own gear.

Thanks!

Ann Marie

Here are some links that may help you make some contacts in the Halifax area.

For dive shops, you can contact Torpedo Rays and Divers World. Also, if you want a good idea of the kind of wreck diving that can be done around Halifax, you may want to check Skipper Dave's Charters. Although the 2007 schedule has yet to be posted, the 2006 schedule will give you a good idea of the kind of diving that can be done. There is something for everyone; make your pick according to your comfort zone.

Last but not the least, if you don't mind renting a vehicle, you can take a drive down to Lunenburg to check the wreck of the HMCS Saguenay. My buddies and I usually go out with Lunenburg Ocean Adventures to dive the Sag'.

Conditions, in my experience, water temps in July can vary from high thirties to mid-forties. Viz can be anywhere from 15 to 30 feet, but that's somewhat unpredictable. Hope you have a drysuit or at least a 7mm wetsuit.

I hope others will be able to point you towards shore dives. Myself, I usually go to Halifax for wreck dives. One finale warning, Halifax is not a tropical destination. This is the North Atlantic! :D

Have fun! :wink:

-André in Fredericton

Thanks for all the recommendations! I'll check it out. Is it worth schelping all my gear for a few dives? What's to see other than wrecks, which I do like but I wouldn't be penetrating any of them.

Mid to Low 40s in a wetsuit.?.no thank you, I'll pack the drysuit! Even though I'll only get to dive when my hubby hits the links I'd rather be dry in that water!

Hey Todd! Yep, colder water! Water didn't get cold enough here this winter to get enough drysuit dives in so... :D

Ann Marie:
Thanks for all the recommendations! I'll check it out. Is it worth schelping all my gear for a few dives? What's to see other than wrecks, which I do like but I wouldn't be penetrating any of them.

Mid to Low 40s in a wetsuit.?.no thank you, I'll pack the drysuit! Even though I'll only get to dive when my hubby hits the links I'd rather be dry in that water!

Hey Todd! Yep, colder water! Water didn't get cold enough here this winter to get enough drysuit dives in so... :D

It's up to you of course, there is a fair amount of life here, but nothing compared to what you'd see on the west coast. The wrecks here really don't present you with much of an opportunity for penetration, aside from the Saguenay in Lunenburg, and some of the very deep stuff I believe. The wrecks are all pretty flattened out and beaten up, you can still identify points of interest but they don't look like boats anymore.

I'd bring some gear and pop in for a dive or two, if you don't mind packing the extra stuff I think you'd enjoy it.

Skipper Dave is an excellent guy, it would be worth bringing gear just to get out on the 'Ryan and Erin' for a day. He does a lot of charters for Torpedo Rays.

On business trips I drag my gear wherever there's water, even if it's cold or if there's only an opportunity of a couple of dives.

The times I haven't brought my own gear, and found there was some kind of diving, I've wound up renting gear. So I at least travel with a c-card if it's warm water, but if it's cold, I'd rather have my drysuit, which means bringing everything else too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom