Explorer or Pioneer Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDan

Reaction score
I’m getting ready to buy my first BP & Wings and wanted to know what others thought about what I should do. Should I go with the Explorer Wings with an STA, I do want to be diving doubles hopefully by next year. Or should I start with the Pioneer Wings. Hate to spend another $550 when I don’t need to.

If you read around, I think the consensus is to get the right gear for the right job. If you are going to be diving singles, then get the Pioneer and wait on the Explorer until you are diving doubles. The Explorer with the STA on a single tank doesn't work so well because of the size of the wing. I understand not wanting to spend a lot of money, but if you get the Pioneer now, at least after you start diving doubles it will be easy enough to also dive singles. Just my $0.02.

Thomas

P.S. - Just curious where you got the $550. My Pioneer wing brand new was $270.

Right tool for the right job, for 550 you can almost have both. Its well worth the investment.
Dave

36 lb. Pioneer MC System with SS Backplate
Code: 10.110.036
Price: $555.00

Right of the internet on the price. Yes, I know this is another whole System but I heard It was a pain to switch back and forth. If it isn't let me know and I can just switch out the wing, that would help out a lot on the price.

No, to change wings from pioneer to explorer whilst keeping everything else the same, takes about 4 mins.

1 Backplate, 2 wings, thats the best option.

So 550 plus 300 odd at a much later date. If your going doubles, the 300 is a drop in the ocean.

Dave

I think using a STA with a single tank on an explorer wing would be a bad idea.It would probably trap air and and be awkward.Use a pioneer wing with a single tank.Later on when you dive doubles fork out 300 bucks for the explorer wing.It takes only a few minutes to switch from a single tank set up to doubles.

Also check out lloyd baileys as they price match and you may be able to get the pioneer(i went with a 36lb wing) setup for around 500 bucks.Its worth a call or an email

Consider this:
AUL or Diverite aluminum BP & harness: about $70
Diverite Trek wing (Leisurepro): $165
STA with cambands (Northeast): $90

Cost of switching to light doubles later $0.

Put a weight on a cam band if trim is a problem.

You could also salvage the wing and cambands off a used Zeagle Ranger.

Halcon makes quality gear, but their prices are frightful. I have bought stuff from Lloyd Bailey's (mentioned above) and they are a good shop.

Dive rite and oms are very good also a small company name highland makes stainless steel backplate they do not make wings
I would buy for a dealer. If you want buy online go to tekdive.com
You should look for at least 50 pounds for twins.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom