surfing wetsuit for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

suddha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Patagonia is now making wetsuits, albeit geared towards surfers. But it sounds like they've put a lot of thought and engineering into them.

I am new to diving and as I look to building my gear collection, I am wondering about the applicability of a Patagonia wetsuit to diving. Their mountain and casual apparel and gear is all bombproof, from my experience.

http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/product/shop/shop_landing.jsp?OPTION=WETSUITS_LANDING

I am looking for a wetsuit I could use for an occassional Great Lakes dive (50-60F) as well as diving in Sri Lanka (70-80F). Any thoughts?

Cheers.

I wear a 12 year old Body Glove 3/4 that I used to wear surfing in nocal, works great, although it is a little tighter. I looked at getting a new one, but I got mine for $150 and it is way tougher than the Hendersons I was looking at, and way cheaper. Now I don't want to get a new wet suit. Personally, I don't know the differences, but I assume that surfing suits may allow more water in, as they are not made for constant emersion.

One of the most important things about a wetsuit are its seals. This will allow you to keep water from circulating in/out of the suit. I'd just make sure that the new PataGucci suits have decent seals.

The other thing that is really, really important is fit. Even the best-made suit won't keep you that warm if it doesn't fit you properly. Different brands have different cuts so I'd try to get one on before buying, if possible.

suddha:
Patagonia is now making wetsuits, albeit geared towards surfers. But it sounds like they've put a lot of thought and engineering into them.

I am new to diving and as I look to building my gear collection, I am wondering about the applicability of a Patagonia wetsuit to diving. Their mountain and casual apparel and gear is all bombproof, from my experience.

http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/product/shop/shop_landing.jsp?OPTION=WETSUITS_LANDING

I am looking for a wetsuit I could use for an occassional Great Lakes dive (50-60F) as well as diving in Sri Lanka (70-80F). Any thoughts?

Cheers.

You're looking for ONE wetsuit to cover both of those conditions? Good luck! I'd use a 7 mm with 4/6 mm hooded vest in the former, and a 3 mm in the latter.

Surf suits can be used under the right temperature conditions, but temperature comparisons between surfing (an activity with long periods on the surface with periodic immersion) and diving (periods of long immersion with periodic surface) are misleading. Also, surf suits are cut to allow greater movement of the shoulders for paddling, which may allow greater flushing and a thicker layer of water to be heated up by the body than with a proper fitting dive suit. That being said, lots of people I knew in California used winter surf suits for summer diving out of financial necessity. I have used my shorty and 3/2 surf suit for diving in warmer waters with no problem. I think you may be underestimating the temperature (coldness) of the Great Lakes, at least at the depths that a lot of the diving occurs in Superior and Michigan.

I have a 3/2 Bodyglove Pro2 wetsuit, works great for the warm water diving I do.
Plus you save a few bucks versus those "made for scuba" sold at your LDS. But at the end of the day the most important thing is how well it fits.

Covediver said it pretty well, but left out one thing. Surfing suits and diving suits are made of different grades of neoprene. The neoprene used for surfing suits does not suffer compression as well, since it's a surface sports suit, it does not need to,and it adds to the price to use the better neoprene; however, it will not keep you as warm at depth. No one likes spending money, but for your two dive conditions, you probably need two suits.

I don't see more than 3mm on the Patagonia site. You'll be cold at 50F-60F, and
I would be cold at 76F.

Merino wool in contact with my skin would be a problem, but it may not be for you.
I don't think it will do anything to keep you warmer under water.

Back
Top Bottom