7mm wetsuit in Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaTommy

Reaction score
# of dives
Howdy Folks!

I am wondering if a 7mm wetsuit would be sufficent to dive Monterey more than just summer time. I know everyone has preferences and I would love to be able to afford a drysuit someday. However for the time being its gonna have to be a wetsuit. I am looking into start getting my gear info compiled before my certification so I can head in when the sales hit or whenever and know what I want and most importantly need. I am planning on diving as much as humanly possible whenever I can considering I only live about 2.5 hours away from Monterey. So if I have down time from work in the winter will the 7mm work? As well as the summer? I am looking into hoods as well and of course gloves. Will one of those Lycra dive skins be overkill or ok as well? All and ANY info greatly appreciated!

Tommy

Not only a 7mm wetsuit, I recommend you should have a skinsuit (lyrca or neoprene), vested hood, gloves, and at least a 6.5mm boots. I have dove with 7mm since April when I got certified and dove around the bay all winter and spring and haven't had a problem with it. But then going into drysuit is also good, reason why I'm not into drysuit is because of bad memories with it so I'll just stick to wetsuits.

RoyN:
But then going into drysuit is also good, reason why I'm not into drysuit is because of bad memories with it so I'll just stick to wetsuits.
OK, I'll bite. What are the bad memories? :popcorn:

FishDiver:
OK, I'll bite. What are the bad memories? :popcorn:

Hey no peeking!! Anyways its utterly boring and just silly so no! :D Besides, bad memories goes away and once I get the money and a small body of argon, then drysuit for me. But not now and not tomorrow. :D

RoyN:
Hey no peeking!! Anyways its utterly boring and just silly so no! :D Besides, bad memories goes away and once I get the money and a small body of argon, then drysuit for me. But not now and not tomorrow. :D

I wouldn't worry about the argon just yet; it's like a 3rd order effect. The 1st order effect is to get dry, and get a good undergarment. This is not an area to skimp on.

I'm with Chuck. I did my first 50 or so dives around here wet, but will never go back.

Haha, I did not even make it past about 25 dives in the cold water here before I switched to a drysuit.

The water was about 48 degrees, although other people computers were reading 46-50 degrees. No one in a wetsuit was comfortable, and all were cold within a half hour. Even in drysuits we bumped up our weight a few pounds to gain loft for warmth over the weekend. Ryan and I managed an 80 minute dive, but it was chilly.

If all you have is a 7mm suit, I wouldn't let that stop you from diving in Monterey. I prefer diving dry in Monterey, but there are many people, including myself, who dive or have dived in 7mm without major discomfort. It depends on more than the thickness of the suit, i.e. the quality, fit, and age of the suit are quite important, and your body type is another factor. If you have the cash, get a drysuit, if not, go with the 7mm, and perhaps layer up with another layer on the torso, if possible. You'll be colder on successive dives.

Go dry if you can spare the cash later, then you can always keep that 7mm suit handy for dive travel or a backup...

Peter_C:
Haha, I did not even make it past about 25 dives in the cold water here before I switched to a drysuit.

Gotcha beat, I did my OW training in Monterey in a dry suit. I had done some no-cert resort diving (pool 30 minutes then out to the reef) in the Bahamas, and got chilled, so there was no way I was doing a wetsuit in Monterey.

On the other end of the built-in furnace spectrum, I met a guy who said he didn't need a hood or gloves to dive Monterey. Me, I use dry suit/dry glove/chemical heaters and still am on the edge.

Very well said. I have dove in 7mm farmer johns, 7mm, and drysuit. During the summer month, I can tolerate diving in my 7mm. During the winter, the minimum I would dive with is a 7mm farmer johns. With that said - I prefer my drysuit year round. :D But like you said - not everyone can afford a drysuit immediately. So if you can't - you'll be fine in a 7mm (although try to get the FJ).

Minh

humanFish:
If all you have is a 7mm suit, I wouldn't let that stop you from diving in Monterey. I prefer diving dry in Monterey, but there are many people, including myself, who dive or have dived in 7mm without major discomfort. It depends on more than the thickness of the suit, i.e. the quality, fit, and age of the suit are quite important, and your body type is another factor. If you have the cash, get a drysuit, if not, go with the 7mm, and perhaps layer up with another layer on the torso, if possible. You'll be colder on successive dives.

Go dry if you can spare the cash later, then you can always keep that 7mm suit handy for dive travel or a backup...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom