What Aeris BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andyallen69

Registered
Reaction score
Im looking to buy a BC which will be worn mostly for diving in the UK over a dry suit. I own an Atmos 2 so am aware of Aeris products and am holidaying in Florida soon (where prices are better than home) so hoping to purchase there. I dive single tanks to currently 20metres but extending soon to 35metres and am not looking for a wing.

andyallen69:
I'm looking to buy a BC which will be worn mostly for diving in the UK over a dry suit. I own an Atmos 2 so am aware of Aeris products and am holidaying in Florida soon (where prices are better than home) so hoping to purchase there. I dive single tanks to currently 20metres but extending soon to 35metres and am not looking for a wing.

You might want to take a look at the ATMOS LX or the BC it replaced ATMOS XT. I have the AMOS XT and really like it. It is mostly back-inflate with just a little inflation on the front which keeps you straight up on the surface.

The XT comes with one zipper pocket. A second can be attached.

I have not seen the LX in person so I can't comment on the storage pockets for the new model. It appears that they oriented the weight pockets horizontally on the LX instead vertically like the XT. The horizontal orientation might actually make it easier to insert and remove the weight pockets.

I previously owned a ScubaPro Knighthawk (before I lost 55 pounds) that had its weight packets oriented horizontally and they were easier to insert and remove than the vertically oriented packets in the ATMOS XT.

I also have the Atmos XT and for the most part am very pleased with it. Two things about it that bug me, the tank strap slip on rubber pad/velcro thingy and the inflater. Both are minor things, but I really wished Areis/Oceanic would get rid of that inflater and the slip on for the tank strap is constantly bunching up when trying to mount the tank. I eventually replaced the tank strap with one that had the velcro sewn own. The problem with the inflater is the wrap around inflater button. It's very easy to accidentally add air when you are trying to release air. Everyone I've talked to that owns an Areis/Oceanic BC with this inflater has experienced this.

I was looking at the Atoms LX in the local dive shop this week. aside from the horizontal mount weight pockets, it also now has 2 zipper pockets integrated into the side panels of the BC. The horizontal weight mount and intergrated pockets make for much more streamlined BC. The lumbar support is a little better and the metal D rings are mounted a few inches lower than the XT. All nice improvements in my opinion.

Despite my criticisms I would recommend either the Atoms XT & LX BC's. There are still a lot of Atmos XT's in stock and since it's last years model there are really good deals to be had.

I own an Atmos XT and i like it. As far as the inflator on the XT I don't use it when im dumping air. I just use the dump valve on the right shoulder or on back of the bc to dump air.

I've only had the XT for a few months now, but really like it, love the hybrid back-inflate with just enough air going to the side jacket wings for me to stay vertical if I wanted to. But most importantly I got it for a great price, $299.

I still have a couple of the Xt's in stock and can give you a great price on it. I will be getting the new LX BC in soon.

Brent

Back
Top Bottom