Maximus SRB 5600 Purge Cover Fractures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WarmWaterDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It's come to my attention my wife's, and now also my, Maximus second stage purge cover fractures aren't isolated incidents for just us two. The purge cover on the second stage will have the top half of the logo insert break off and get lost. This issue is not addressed when having routine service performed on the reg set - my wife's has been this way for several years. This is the same model that had the recall for the second stage internals.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=185751

Why isn't Sherwood addressing this during routine regulator service? It doesn't appear to harm the function, but it seems leaving things in this state does provide less than sterling advertising for Sherwood when such regs are in use or picked up from routine service - everyone else sees the problem.

The problem you are having should have been taken care of by the servicing dealer, that cover in has been changed in the fall of 04.

Thus far, no such luck. Service as recently as March 2007 right before our Curacao trip didn't address this issue for us, and another board member posted he had to shell out US$25 for the replacement cover. My wife's and mine are almost mirror images - the top half of the logo is missing in one and the bottom half is missing in the other.

Can you advise us on what the procedure is to have this addressed?

I really don't think that's going to work. Did you check the thread I linked to where another Maximus owner had to pay US$25 for the new second stage cover part himself? The thread indicated the shop didn't charge him for labor for installing the new part, but your suggestion just doesn't jibe with any reasonable degree of probability of success.

We have had these regs serviced by three different dealers in the last 4 years, my wife's has been returned in this same condition every time. I can PM you the serial numbers and shops we've used in 2 different states (Ohio & Louisiana) if that helps.

But what I would really like is the procedure from Sherwood to have this addressed. If no such procedure exists, let us know - it would seem that's been the case thus far for us two and the poster going by Scuba-QC in the thread I linked to.

Sherwood seems to have been logo challenged in that vintage of regs. They used stick-on logos for the second stages of the other oval models of pre '05 regs--Brut, Magnum, Oasis, Blizzard. These stick-ons do not stay stuck very well. At least half of the logos in most rental fleets are missing. Very poor advertising for what are otherwise good quality regs.

My 2005 Maximus has a soft, pliable cover with the Sherwood name in raised white letters. The letters are molded from the same material as the cover. No way they could break or come loose. This must have been after the modification to the design.

Great Regulator.

Stan

The picture in the thread I linked to shows it all - these are not "stick on" logos.

According to post #2, the design change to the current design was in autumn 2004, so a 2005 era Maximus as described in post #7 would likely have the current logo-free non-cracking second stage cover design.

WarmWaterDiver:
The picture in the thread I linked to shows it all - these are not "stick on" logos.

According to post #2, the design change to the current design was in autumn 2004, so a 2005 era Maximus as described in post #7 would likely have the current logo-free non-cracking second stage cover design.

I realize that the Maximus did not have a stick-on logo. My point was that none of the Sherwood second stage logos of that vintage fared very well. My friend's Oasis logo fell off on about the 20th dive. I have seen dozens of 2nd stage and octo logos missing on resort rentals. I asked a Sherwood rep why the problem, and she just shrugged. She did say, however, that the new cover could not be retrofitted onto the old case. While the absence of logos on all but the Maximus do no damage, to have so many missing does little for the perceived quality of the product. Therefore, the company should offer free replacements for ANY that are missing.

No problem - however, the current production Maximus cover version with the name, not the logo, DOES fit the prior model case - so this should be the first step, since there are no technical hurdles, only business ones, to deal with. And, there is a loss of functionality possible with the Maximus due to this issue Scuba-QC pointed out - another excellent reason for addressing this model first. Which is why I started this thread.

A jpg is worth a gig of text - the picture in the thread I posted the link to in post #1 of this thread shows this clearly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom