1st drysuit dive in the pool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubagal82

Reaction score
Hello everyone, just had my 1st drysuit dive in the pool today and it was so different from a wetsuit.

I was upside down, rolling side to side during an hour or so! it first happened when the divemaster asked me to swim, i tried to swim with my head lower than my body, i was often doing this wearing wetsuit for faster descending, and then my legs floated and i was upside down! So this is obviously wrong for descending.

And then i was confused what to do with my BC and suit, where to put air in to keep my bouyancy. I tend to keep my BC empty during my wetsuit divings, so i did the same, then i was hitting the bottom all the time. Dont know what i was thinking, i put some air in my suit instead of my BC. Then i was rolling to one side and ended up upside down again.

Did the hover thing, was doing very well though.

Then when i kneeled down waiting for others which was never a problem for me in wetsuit, i cant keep my body straight, one leg was floating or my whole body is trying to roll to a side.

Then instuctor saw i was clearly struggling to stop my body rolling and my legs floating, he helped me to tune the bouyancy by putting little air in my suit and some in my BC.. it got better but still i knew it wasnt good bouyancy!!

Then we practised the upsidedown thing, we held a weight at the bottom and make ourselves upsidedown, instructor put a lot of air in the suit then we need to flip over our bodies to make the air vent from the shoulder. i didnt do quite well on this, almost floated up to the surface (3M deep swimming pool)

The problem is the instructor did not really explain to me how to descend/ascend, how to do the bouyancy before throwing me into the pool. I was a bit confused what to do but i was not careful enough to ask questions before i jumped into the water.

Also the suit is too big for me, my feet dont fit the integrated boot, there are a lot more spaces left in there, and then i didnt tie my fins tight enough to the boots and they actually fell off at the end of the dive. ( it's my 1st time to use open heel fins..)

And then the weights, i think im overweighted..there are 4 pieces of weight which should be 2kg per one? i remember i used 2 and a half piece before when i dived in wetsuit. but again, i didnt ask before i jumped into the water.

So anyone got any ideas what has happened to me??? i would really like to hear some ideas. the instructor said i did well today but i really dont think i did!! i think i need more pool practise before going to the cold lakes to do my 2 open water dives.

Hrm, honestly my first time was that bad as well. One thing to consider find a shallow low current dive site to mess around with it at. Its like learning your buoyancy all over again, remember how much easier it was to hover in calm water than it was in the relatively shallow pool.

Hrm, and as to weight, you are going to have to find the right amount of weight for you just like you did with your BC. Just keep taking it off until you find yourself comfortably weighted. It will depend on the buoyancy of the new suit, as well as how much air you are using inside it, and the thickness of the undergarments you are wearing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom