Custom Suit vs Alterations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

georoc01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Basically I am a large man who finds larger suits to be too long in the arms and legs. Has anyone had alterations done to a wet suit, or should I assume I need to go custom? Anyone have any recommendations for alterations?

I have a similar problem, in that I have 44" shoulders, 34" waist, I'm 180lbs., and 5'9". For my shoulders, I usually need XL, however, that means the legs/arms are too long. I have a 3mm Henderson Goldcore I had to custom alter (and I'm happy with the suit, but the cost was stratospheric).

I've since bought a Bare 5mm, XLS (extra-large short). Fits like a glove. The additional "incremental" sizes in Bare, Mares, and a couple of others, make a custom fit (and custom charges) unnecessary.

Good luck...

As I see it there are basicly 3 factors to consider:

How well does the off the shelf suit fit other than arm/leg length?

Is there anyone locally that does alterations of wetsuits?

What thickness suit are you considering, the thicker the suit the less stretch and more reason to go custom?

As a person that has troube finding off the shelf suits that fit also, I feel custom fitted wetsuits are worth every penny, in fact I am in the process of getting a new one.

More important question to explore is this: How much does a custom suit cost, compared to off-the-rack plus alterations?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom