Just returned from Red Sea safari

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jai Bar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Five days to Shaab Abu Nuhas and Ras Mohammed area :14:

So, water visibility isn't that good in this season (lots of plankton), water temperature is 21-22 degC- add some wind and it is pretty cold to don/doff wet suits before and after the dives.

But on the other side there weren't almost any other boats so it is a good chance to have the usually "megacrowded" sites such as Shark/Yolanda reef (or the Thistlegorm)- "private" for ourselves. Which was really nice. I don't remember when was the last time I had a chance to be really alone on these sites... :D

We dove to the wreck of the "Dunraven" in Shaab Mahmoud, then crossed the Gubal strait to dive the wrecks of the "Gianis D" and "Carnatic". Then "Bluff point", followed by two days on the "Thistlegorm", and last two days in Shark/Yolanda reefs and the Alternatives. Did a couple of dives in the "Little passage" too.

Most of the huge schools of fish typical encountered in places like Shark reef were missing, but there was an abundance of Giant Humphead Wrasses ("Napoleon")- in the alternatives reef we saw four together (male + three females?) in most dives we were visited by these friendly large fishes (unfortunately, I think they are more interested in eggs than being friendly- got none from us, of course), schools of Barracudas, Fusiliers, and lots lots lots of surgeon fish, Blue spotted stingrays. Turtles too, and a remora looking for a free ride... Sometime in these season an occassional whale shark? We weren't lucky enough :(

It was my first time to night-dive the thistlegorm. Not much different than during the day- but colder :D and spookier in some places, especially beeing alone with my buddy... For me it was also the first time to dive there without the screens of bubbles generated by hoardes of divers.

Between the dives, we spent the time on board of the "Sea Queen I"- it is quite a big boat, the crew very friendly and always looking to help.

Next time, I hope to visit Dahab- haven't been there for almost two years :(

Jai Bar:
Five days to Shaab Abu Nuhas and Ras Mohammed area :14:

So, water visibility isn't that good in this season (lots of plankton), water temperature is 21-22 degC- add some wind and it is pretty cold to don/doff wet suits before and after the dives.

how cold donning and doffing suits? I'm headed out there in about 4 weeks but bear in mind home is in the west coast of scotland so our idea of cold may be different:)

and thanks for sharing ....appreciated:)

Thanks for sharing. March and April are known as the windy months here. combined with the plankton booms - whihc go through to early/mid may (giving the REd Sea its name in some areas) these conditions are about right for this time of year. I am fortunate to live in Egypt and dive the Red Sea about 1 or 2 times a month so have seen all the seasonal/aquatic changes. Even with lower vis, you still get great diving with lots to see. I am from Scotland, so any Scottish diver heading here next month won't be dissapointed. Drop me a PM and I can give you a "weather update" closer to the time. I am diving next weekend and again in early May. Sheena

Back
Top Bottom