how bouyant is the Oneill 7/7 mm type II suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DarthWader

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was reading about bouyance controll on another thread which caused me to start rethinking my own bouyancy issues. without my suit I'm fine (generally speaking) but when I don all that neoprene (14 mm at the torso), I'm virtually unsinkable!
does any know how much weight it takes to sink that suit?

When I throw my 7 mil core warmer on, I put on and extra 6-8# depending. It seems the hard part is the first 10' until everything compresses.

I was half tempted to get a weight belt and jump in the pool to see just what it takes to attain neutral bouyancy with just the suit. It took 32+ pounds when I did my ow, but that was with a Zeagle escape, a brand new suit and very poor bouyancy skills. this year I have my OMS Comfort Harness with Al bp and I'm hoping to trim about 10# off for the summer. I was curious if the suit itself had a bouyancy rating to begin with. Probably should have directed this queery to the manufacturer first, but I wanted to tap the wisdom/experience of the board first.

If you want to test the actual buoyancy of just the suit, toss it in the pool, don't wear it. Drop weights on it until it sinks. Bingo, true buoyancy determined.

Much more valid test, esp since you're in a bp/w now, so the positive buoyancy your old BC lent no longer applies.

I'm not aware of any manufacturer that provides actual buoyancy figures for their suits, although it's possible some of them have the figures. Could be handy.

Bear in mind, however, a brand new suit and a suit with 10-15 dives on it will be a little different. Add a hundred more dives, and it changes more. Neoprene compresses over time and does not return 100%.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom