I think I'll Pass (this time)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

augie

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
By way of introduction I'm a Florida resident/diver. I've been certified since 1985 and have dove severeal hundred times, but aside from reduced visibility training dives I've only been in the relatively warm and clear waters of the Atlantic and the Caribbean.

I'll be bringing my family out to California this summer - we have a family reunion the last full weekend of June in San Diego, and will then meander up the coast for a couple weeks until we fly home from Seattle on July 5.

My wife is a confirmed warm/clear/calm water diver only, as is my 16 year old son. My 14 year old is a polar bear compared to them and he expressed a strong interest in diving in CA, specifically in hopes of seeing seals, so naturally diving Monterey came to mind.

But after lurking on your board for a while I've come to the conclusion that I don't feel that it's very practical this time around since;

We have ZERO experience diving in water as cold as yours.

We won't really have the time to spend on training to do cold water diving.

We are ill-equipped to dive in the conditions we'd encounter and using unfamiliar rental gear would be one more factor we'd have to overcome.

And the biggest factor for me - at 14, with only a half dozen open water dives logged and on the small side, I don't think my son may be physically ready for that type of diving. Usually I take on the role of safety diver when my boys are in the water, but not having any local experience myself, I don't know how capable I'd be at that either.

So...while I hate the idea of going all that way and not getting wet, I think I'll have to veto the diving this trip. Maybe in a few years, when he's stronger and more experienced, and we'll have time to do it right...

Thanks for all of the advice I've received from you, even though you weren't aware that you were giving it to me!

ohhh , it's not that bad! you can do a nice shore dive, with rented 7mil gear... you'll love it! try Lovers cove (monterey) it's protected- or Breakwater(monterey) you just need to make up for the extra bouyancy with more weight- once you're in the water, you'll never know the difference. the "walk" with gear on is short at both) or if you're coming through on a weekday, go to Pt. Lobos , it's very good.
stay out of the thick(est) kelp (although lots of cool stuff to see there) it's actually o-k when you're under water, just very thick at the surface.(just scope it out before you dive from the surface, you'll see the big kelp "beds")
as far as your son goes , i don't know his ability- but these dives can be very good with max depths of 30'-50' (or less) what i'm saying is you don't have to go very far, or deep to have a good dive . lot's of folks do long surface swims just to have access to deeper water, but it's not neccessary.
as far as the cold water- add 10' to your actual depth (using tables),and take it easy,and there is really not alot of difference. it can be a little more difficult to control bouyancy in shallow (less than 15') water. but, due to the fact that most of the diving is done from the shore, it usually is not a problem, since you are following bottom contour anyway.
let us know if you decide to go! i say go for it!
ohh- here is a number to get Monterey diving conditions. i would say 10' vis is good-
(831) 657-1020
anyone else care to chime in here?

There are a number of shops where you can rent equipment and arrange for DM to accompany you on a dive if you are uncomfortable leading your sons into the water. As long as you get the proper protection and take the right procautions ( hydrate, get rest, don't push your limits, dive with someone that knows the area, etc) you'll be fine.

jon m:
here is a number to get Monterey diving conditions. i would say 10' vis is good-
(831) 657-1020
anyone else care to chime in here?

You really are trying to scare them away with 10' of vis. Monterey is typically more in the 20 foot or more vis range. Sometimes they get up to 70' of vis. Up North here we are happy when it is 10', so heading South to Monterey is a treat.

You can rent everything you need to dive the cool water here. I would only let your son go if you were right there with him, or hire a DM. Point Lobos, Lovers Point, and Mcabe Beach are all good dives, with Lobos being the best. The entry at Lobos can be as close as 20 feet from your car, all the way up to 60 feet :wink: The conditions are always weather dependent, but usually it is pretty mild.

As said above the depths are pretty shallow for a typical shore dive. You could easily spend the whole day in 40' or less of water.

How are you gonna know if you like it, if you don't try it?

Someone please show these folks the kelp. Coral reefs are nothing in comparison.

augie, I think your psyching yourself out, you and your son need to go for it, hire a DM, have fun. I've made that drive a couple times years ago only as far as Portland, when I wasn't a diver, I'd give my left ... to be able to do it again with dive gear and 2 weeks to kill. You have your, "Passport to adventure" :D use it, you'll regret it if you don't.

For reference, my son at 13 with only 15 or so warm, clear water Maui dives, did just fine on his first CA shore dives wearing a 7mm. Not a peep out of him he loved it, only hated donning the 7mm.

-Garrett

Roy, get that mask off your forehead and help Augie find a good DM, he shouldn't miss this chance.

I dove Monterey 2 years ago (Breakwater) and it was definitely the coldest dive I've done. Shockingly cold. But it was also one (okay, two- we dove the pier and then the kelp) of the best dives I've ever done. Max depth was 50 or 60 feet.

I'd definitely pay a guide or get a sb-er to go with you. It wasn't a challenging dive beyond the cold but once I was in the dive, the cold didn't seem so bad. Fairly shallow, no current to deal with (which I assume is normal conditions at the breakwater site), and just an amazing view.

If you do decide to dive there, you may want to consider diving first in FL with a hood and gloves even though you don't need them. You'll need them in Monterey and I know a lot of divers who have a hard time getting used to a hood. I dive with a hood a lot so it was nothing new to me.

Peter_C:
You really are trying to scare them away with 10' of vis. Monterey is typically more in the 20 foot or more vis range. Sometimes they get up to 70' of vis. Up North here we are happy when it is 10', so heading South to Monterey is a treat.

?
:) i meant that i would dive 10' vis.... not that 10' would be the best there is.... Monterey is often well above that...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom