Clearest/Best/Most Interesting Fresh Water in AK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EMTPDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Well, what would you guys suppose is the best freshwater spot to dive in AK?

The best visibility FW spot?

The most interesting FW spot (in terms of terrain, wildlife, whatever)?

This includes rivers, lakes, glacials ponds, anything.

I know many of the saltwater spots, but have som weird obsession with freshwater.

Thanks

Welcome to the board! Id imagine that most glacial feed lakes would be very poor diving. Full of silt and crap vis. Maybe some of the higher moutain lakes? I want to do a Kenai river dive durning salmon season myself.
Please fill in your profile so we know who we are talking to.

that particular thread does a tiny bit to satisfy my questions, but not enough to directly andswer any of them.

I will fill out my profile later. For now, here is a bit about me. I am in my latter 20's. I am a paramedic and have three jobs, one with a medivac service, one with an ambulance service, and one with an ER. I am working on rescue diver cert. I am married and have a 1 year old daughter.

I was introduced to diving at 16 in Fiji and had a great time. Since then I've been a bit on and off, but really started passionately after my wife and I took a trip to Oahu. Now, both my wife and I dive and are loving it! I am exploring places to dive near home, and given that I grew up here, there are a number of childhood fishing and camping spots that I would love to explore the underwater aspects of.

So anyhow, that's a bit about myself. With the lakes and rivers around ANchorage and the Valley quickly thawing, I am really stoked to get out and start diving some of them. Granted none of them are going to be stellar, and certainly just after thawing the vis will be awful. However, I will put the question to you guys again:

What Southcentral AK freshwater spots are the best for visibility? Howsabout for interesting terrain or wildlife? What are some all around good freshwater spots that some of you have gone to?

Thanks a bunch!

When I was a kid we used to camp at Cooper Lake alot. I haven't been there in 25 year but it might be worth a look.

DM

Lakes around Anchorage...If you are thinking about little Campell Lake or Taku Lake...they are more akin to ponds fed by moose crap. that said, if one is really desparate to go diving....otherwise I would not recommend them. And, yes, I have been in them.

A fall dive in the Katmai might fulfill your quest for wildlife...I just dont see many of the AK lakes as being that good. Many great saltwater dive spots near by ya know? I'll PM you the next time Im home and maybe we can get some dives in and talk medic.

thanks. I know there are some sweet saltwater spots nearby, and I'm certainly planning on checking them out. I just have some weird fascination with diving freshwater lately. Dunno why. Thanks for the input guys.

Wildcard, feel free to PM me

Dont know if your interested or not, but another diver and myself are in the process of writing a Alaska freshwater dive site guide. It should be done and published around Mid July. Have you been to Smittys cove in Whittier yet? All freshwater sites around Anchorage are crap until around Midjume when breakup is over and run off from snow has stopped. Unless you acctually like 2 foot visability.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom