DUI TLS SE Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rfranks1658

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am really a new diver with about 50 dives, I love to dive year round so have decided to go with a dry suit. I did the Dog Days a couple of weeks ago and loved the TLS 350. But with a limited budget I noticed the TLS SE and checked on prices and can get it for about $500 dollars less. I know its a back entry which is fine with me but does anyone have any comments about these two suits. They seem to be the same except for the entry system. Thanks to scuba board for a great way to get info on our great hobby,

I have TLS350 right now, but my second dry will be TLS350SE. As long as you have a buddy who can help you out, I don't think there is any difference on the performance wise.

Please don't forget to add a "zipper flap" option ($120). It will save your investment over time.

I don't know if this matters to your or not, but the SE does not have the torso recoil. That may or may not make a difference to you. Before I go with the TLS SE - I would check into the Bare line of drysuit.

rfranks1658:
I am really a new diver with about 50 dives, I love to dive year round so have decided to go with a dry suit. I did the Dog Days a couple of weeks ago and loved the TLS 350. But with a limited budget I noticed the TLS SE and checked on prices and can get it for about $500 dollars less. I know its a back entry which is fine with me but does anyone have any comments about these two suits. They seem to be the same except for the entry system. Thanks to scuba board for a great way to get info on our great hobby,

I know this thread is about purchasing a TLS350,but it sounds like you are a new diver with a finite budget. Think about buying a drysuit as being similar to buying a car. As a new driver and you entered a dealership,would you buy the first car you saw and test drove? Probably not,you'd do some research and check other vehicles. My point is there are a lot of dry suit manufacturers out there that make a better product than the TLS350,for less money,and this is from someone who owns a TLS350 among the 4 drysuits I have. Also,I encourage people to ask people who work on dry suits for a living,they will tell you what is the least durable drysuit (ones they fix all the time),and the ones made of quality material and seams. Good luck on your purchase.

Thanks everyone for some good advice. Karstdvr, I really do value your advice. What other suits would you recommend. I have checked the DUI suits and the Whites suits looking for something durable but also that would fit my budget as an entry level suit. Any comments are deeply appreciated. My wife will tell you I spend time researching before buying. The flap guard is good advice also. So far my best deal is from Dive Tank, anyone have an negative comments on this dive shop? Thanks again for helping me out.

WELL, i will chime in here regarding a couple of things. first, the suit. i say get the best you can with the money you have(a no brainer i know) i am having a Bare Trilam HD custom cut for me through Dive Tank. production on the suit is slated for the 30th of this month. now, typically i would not have been able to spring for this suit(retail: +/- 1700.00) but, Richard cut me a deal i just could not refuse. the one thing i will say about Dive Tank is that they seem EXTREMELY busy. i have spoken mostly to Richard and Jason there and the one big problem i have seen is a lack of communication from what Richard and i have spoken about as compared to what is actually passed on to store staff. i have however gotten quick e-mail responses AND what issues i have had regarding the ordering of this suit, they were quickly resolved. the other thing i would like to point out is depending on your measurements you may or may not be able to get a GREAT deal on an "off-the-shelf" in stock D/S. i could not due to some odd measurements i have(suits that fit me in the chest area, do not fit me height wise). if it is a custom suit your looking to get, you should take a look at a company called SeaSkin. they are in the UK. both of my dive buddies have bought these suits and they are nice. membrane material coverd from kneck to ankle in Cordura(very tough) WITH options deliver'd to their front door for about $1100.00. the only reason that i did not go this route is that i have dived Bare suits exclusively and been real happy with their wet-suits and i figured i would be just as happy with their drysuit. if come this time next year i am not happy with the Bare Trilam, i WILL be ordering a SeaSkin. heck, as nice as that suit is, i may just order one next year anyhow. anyway thats just some things to think about. good luck with what ever route you decide to go.

Bill

rfranks1658:
Thanks everyone for some good advice. Karstdvr, I really do value your advice. What other suits would you recommend. I have checked the DUI suits and the Whites suits looking for something durable but also that would fit my budget as an entry level suit. Any comments are deeply appreciated. My wife will tell you I spend time researching before buying. The flap guard is good advice also. So far my best deal is from Dive Tank, anyone have an negative comments on this dive shop? Thanks again for helping me out.

Every suit has a pros and cons. If then, someone should explain why TLS series is major ball on DUI product line. I have tried all DUI suits and ended up with TLS350. That was a kind of funny result after hearing all comments from other experience divers when I shopped mine, "You will end up with TLS series no matter what suit you try on" It was a correct expectation.

Depending on the materials, there are many variations on pros and cons. However, the trilaminate dry suit is a basic suit for any kinds of diving in the market. Don't worry.. When you get into a real hard core diving, you will be get another suit made by other materials.

You can check out the recent thread about Dive tank business. They have very mixed reviews based on the posts.

DiveTank is great. You'll be hard pressed to beat their prices. They can be a little slow with responses and feedback, however, once they order gets rolling. Admittedly, unless you buy an off-the-shelf suit from their stock, they have to wait for DUI (or Bare, or whoever) to actually make the suit, so delays may not be their fault. Be patient, and in time, you will be rewarded. :D

I own a TLS SE and love it. The shoulder entry is a negative though I prefer the suit over a telescoping torso. As previously stated, the trilaminate isn't that durable compared to other materials though it is easier to repair than most. Fortunately, I haven't had to experience a leak yet. All and all I give it :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:!

brownick:
I own a TLS SE and love it. The shoulder entry is a negative though I prefer the suit over a telescoping torso. As previously stated, the trilaminate isn't that durable compared to other materials though it is easier to repair than most. Fortunately, I haven't had to experience a leak yet. All and all I give it :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:!
Trilaminate is quite durable. Compared to compressed neoprene, everything is tissue. But the trilam suits would not be as popular as they are if they were weak.

Personally, I'd go for the TLS 350 over the SE, even if it meant saving up for an extra month or two. I have a back zip now, and while I know many people seem to need help getting in and out of their front diagonal zip suits, there are a number who manage to self don/doff no problem, while a back zip suit is impossible to get out of without extra hands (or tools).

Doing the dance after a long dive is no fun. With a front zip I'd at least stand a chance of getting out alone.

I feel zipper covers are important. Highest cost item to replace, should they fail... and that back shoulder zipper is constantly rubbing up against your bc. Not available on the SE.

Whatever you get, add kneepads. Biggest wear area of the suit.

Back
Top Bottom